1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Generation of Toyota Diesels Not Going In Your Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TacoJonn, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Jun 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
  2. Jun 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Well, this is informative. Those who blame US emissions standards for Toyota not bringing diesel to the US should now see that it isnt true. They've developed a world diesel platform that virtually eliminates NOx emissions, so it likely meets or is very close to meeting US standards, but Toyota still won't bring it here, at least for a while. It is about market demand and how fuel is taxed in the US.

3. Jun 20, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    4RunninXit4

4RunninXit4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 4runner sport
    5100's front 5125's rear. LC80 wheels. BFG KM2's
    Yeah I thought that article was pretty interesting. I know it's been said that they didn't want to go diesel because of future emissions, but those diesels seem to be pretty far ahead of the standards. I still don't think it will happen unless sales of the diesel Colorado explode, which I also don't think will happen but if it does it seems like Toyota has an engine in their back pocket.

4. Jun 21, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    mike2810

mike2810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona - Rim Country
    Vehicle:
    had 06 Sport 4x4 , now 2016 Nissan Pro 4x
    http://www.torquenews.com/1083/toyota-explains-why-there-no-2016-diesel-tacoma-coming
    "No Diesel 2016 Tacoma
    At NIAS Automobile’s Mark Nordeloos did the interview that made it all crystal clear. Interviewing Toyota’s Mark Sweers, he asked, “What is Toyota’s stance on diesel engines for the U.S. pickup truck market?” Rather than dodge the question or leave it vague so that Tacoma owners can continue to pine away for a diesel, Sweers said “The difficulty with the diesel is LEV III [emissions standards]. The difficulty is the cost-to-benefit relationship. Everybody loves diesel in trucks. The downside is the after-treatment systems can add $3,000 or more. It starts becoming cost prohibitive, especially in this segment, to pay a premium for both the engine and after-treatment system. That’s the struggle we have. We build a lot of diesel trucks, just not in this country. If I develop a diesel system for our country and I spend a huge amount of money to do that, I won’t see a return on the investment. That’s what we’ve struggled with.”

Its a cost benefit for Toyota in the US market.

5. Jun 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    beondwacko

beondwacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08' X-Runner , Sirius radio, fog light mod. Much more to go.
    It's a cost benefit for Toyota in the US market. Just like its a cost benefit for Toyota to drop the standard cab option? If they kept it in production, they would have cornered the market for that cab configuration. We all know that wise old Toyota researchers know best at all times. Nobody wants a standard cab truck, let alone one with a V-6 and the option of a manual transmission right?

6. Jun 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    v1tal1

v1tal1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Its not that no one wants one, its that in general, a company that has fewer SKUs will have higher margins. Apple spends a LOT MORE in r&d for each product, but always has margins 2-3x higher than the rest of the market. Is it magic? No. Its because they have one keyboard, one mouse, one entry in each segment. Samsung has like 14 different phone models at any given time. Shit, Asus has 5 different versions of the zenbook. I can't even count how many laptops they make. Even when Apple offers multiple products in a category, they use nearly all the same parts (iphone 6 and 6 plus).

Products Discussed in

To Top