1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Guy looking for some opinions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SmackGoneWild, May 7, 2014.

1. May 7, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    SmackGoneWild

SmackGoneWild [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    Welp I think I'm going to like this site already, seems pretty healthy. I just bought a new 2014 quad cab long bed 4x4, and I already love this thing.

Of course a little fine tuning for personal preference is always acceptable, so I figured I'd start with audio.

Unfortunately I am not the experienced dude with knowledge on multiple brands and mix-matching for best system, and most sites online are a little less productive in finding answers and a little more like bad takes from "8 Mile".

In any case, I believe I am zoning in on what I want, and am in need of some guidance before I purchase anything.

I am thinking of 2x 10s, and I don't really care to replace the head unit for now. Just gave myself a crash course in JL Audio's CL441DSP Cleansweep OEM Interface, so that looks like a legitimate buy.

Right down to the questions aye?
    1) For subs, I was thinking 2x JL Audio 10tw3-d4 Shallow-mount 10s
    2) Is that Cleansweep all it's talked up to be?
    3) I have no idea on amps, but I have been directed towards Rockford Fosgate (their 3 main quality lines differ that much? If so what would be best with the JL 10s?)

4) I need a box, and I am stationed in Hawaii. Means Amazon/ebay has a ton of goodies that wont ship here, or just cost an arm to do it. Anybody happen to have any knowledge on my best bet for a good quality sealed box? Shipping of course I understand I might have to just bite that one, but if its a 1 time deal, so be it.

Thanks folks, looking forward to listening to Meshuggah the right way very soon.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 7, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to the site. Those 10TW3s are great subs. I heard them in a friend's car and they sound great. Tight clean bass and still hits low.

I haven't used any type of stock stereo integration equipment like the cleansweep, bit 10, etc. The only gripe I've read about the cleansweep is that the head unit volume needs to stay constant and you adjust volume from the cleansweep device itself. I'm not sure if that's still the case, or other vendor's products operate the same. Seems kinda frustrating.

RF amps are pretty decent, but if you can swing the cash I'd splurge for a JL HD or Alpine PDX amp. Small package with tons of clean power. The JL has a reputation of providing cleaner sound, but it costs more.

Mr Marv here on the forum builds great boxes for the Tacoma. He's also able to get you some JL equipment. He's got a sticky thread on this forum that has his phone number. Great guy to work with. He's also located in CA, which should make shipping costs a little better.

If shipping turns out to be outrageous, I'd check with a local shop in Hi. There's tons of stereo shops all over the place. Check with some of your buddies to see if they know of any reputable shops.

3. May 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Find a stereo shop to build the box locally to save on shipping costs.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 8, 2014 at 4:19 AM
    SmackGoneWild

SmackGoneWild [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    So doing some research I see keeping the stock head unit with the Clearsweep is helpful, but it does bring into question getting a new head unit altogether.

So, if I wanted to keep my bluetooth capabilities, keep the steering wheel controls, the backup camera display, basically everything my stock head unit does now, but to simply get an aftermarket unit for upgraded audio (and if possible same size/bigger screen) ...is that possible? Would it cost a grand?

5. May 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    A decent HU with those capabilities (double din with video input and reverse sense + BT) can be had for 3-400. You'll need to tap into the video feed youself, there is a thread somewhere on that, and you'll need to buy and wire in a steering wheel control adapter. This and wiring adapters and you're still less than 500.

6. May 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I have one of those JL subs in my double cab right now. Its a really great sub. Like ike3000 mentioned, it has tight clean bass and still hits low. If you do two of these, you won't be disappointed. I have mine in a sealed box and powered by a JL amp. Its a great combination. I can't say how it would compare to an RF amp, sorry. I've only heard good things about those Alpine PDX amps too.

It'll take a bit more work, but if you go with an aftermarket head unit and connect the steering wheel controls and rear view camera I think you'll be happier in the long run. Going the CleanSweep route is definitely easier, but I'm glad I didn't go that route.

Congrats on the new truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top