1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Guy

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Hound, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Hound

Hound [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys dont throw to many stone me to bad, but joined in hopes of learning about tacomas so i could decide which one and what kind to get. Im so ready to get me a taco, but i need advice on whether or not to get a first gen or second. V6, 4 door, trd off road package for both are what im looking at. I have to get used on either since i just bought a house....So is there any real advantage to an 05 or above compared to a 2000-2004 first gen that makes them worth the extra benjamins? Thanks for your help guys.

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :wave: from hawaii!

Each have their pros and cons. If you just bought a house I'd look at a 1st gen though. Older, cheaper, but just as reliable and fun as hell to wheel.

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Welcome! I love my 2nd gen, but it's personal preference. Be sure to check out the Alabama threads, too!

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Welcome.

Your question is...pretty big.

The 2nd gens are bigger than the 1st gens. Also, second gens tend to come in a wider array of models and options and trim packets and electronic gizmos. And more plastic.

Fisrt gens are more like the traditional legendary, kickass small toyota trucks that are legend. They are in very high demand, and still fetch a premium over "blue book" prices. They keep value.

You need to tell us a little more about yourself, though.

How would you use the truck? Where would you go with it? Daily driver? Wheeling? Hunting? Camping? Snow? Load of mulch, grave,l and lumber?

What is your budget?

Other than that, I would recommend going to test drive some to get a feel. Check them out on craigslist and go take some drives....

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    Hound

Hound [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the welcomes guys. To some it up some more it will be used for daily driver, camping, wheeling, hunting, and zombie hunting...lol just kidding. Im looking for a good reliable truck that can take a beating and keep on going. Ill turn it into an off road machine eventually, but till after the wedding next month a daily driver weekend off road warrior. I love the way the 2 gens look, but was wondering if all the new electronic upgrades were worth the price tags. When off road does one surpass the other. Has to be 4 door b/c within the next year or two plan on bringing a little off road monster into the world and 4 door seems the way to go for family time and camping. Let me know if there's any other particulars i didn't hit.

6. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    the electronics are really convenient. Rear back-up cameras, A-TRAC, all good to have..but not 100% must haves IMO.
    buuut, theres more room in the 2nd gen double cabs.

and as far as wheeling both are excellent offroad, and will start an endless debate about which is "better". In the end, it's all about the driver :D

7. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    Hound

Hound [OP] New Member

Member:
    I agree about off roading is the driver not the truck, but having an awesome truck doesn't hurt...lol. As far as the trd off road packages go on the 1st and 2nd gen compare? I've read that the new auto trans adapts to its driver so you get the most out of it. Is this a big enough one up along with the hill assist and down hill assist functions to make me lean towards the newer modesl. Otherwise a 1st gen makes more since and leaves room for quicker mods. Also i was told that yota's have an unlimited power train warranty. Is this true and is there a year restriction? Thanks again guys.

8. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    Both have e-lockers, and 4lo gears, but the 2nd gen has A-TRAC, which helps offroad on loose surfaces.

As far as the power train warranty and the 2nd gen auto tranny, you gotta wait until someone else chimes in, cause that's where I suck. haha

9. Aug 26, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV

Products Discussed in