1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New headers and Y-pipe?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by FightFire48, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    FightFire48

FightFire48 [OP] Taco Monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    3" Toytec lift AEM BruteForce CAI Gibson exhaust 2 - Rockford Fosgate 8's
    Ok what i'm looking at doing is getting headers and a new y-pipe. I did the cat back exhaust already and cold air intake but would like to grab some more torque! I've been searching for a new y-pipe and couldn't find a thing. Also I was looking for TRD headers but no luck. My rig is a 2004 Dbl cab Prerunner so i have the 3.4L. Any suggestions would be great up for all kinds of ideas. Thanks

2. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    4421.frank

4421.frank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab prerunner supercharged
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    I am looking to basically do the same thing to 02 double cab this summer. Could use some help as well. I know I would like to start with the TRD headers and not sure about much after that as far as the "y" pipe. I have heard some good things about the flowmaster exhaust after that.

I replaced headers on an old chevy pick up in my teens. I remember going through at least a can of liquid wrench and spending the better part of the day trying to get those old bolts loose and off from the header. Anything else to the dismantlement of the old headers? Any tips when I attempt this as well
    would these fit on my 02 tacoma ? http://toyotapartspeople.com/search...232706&year=00&productdesc=TRD+Exhaust+Header
    good luck on this mod. keep us posted.

3. Mar 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    FightFire48

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    Thanks man i looked at that link and i'm for sure gonna do that. I couldn't find any reviews though. Has anyone on here done this mod?

4. Mar 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Wow!!! Prices have dropped a lot on these.

1. Install is a major PIA. To remove the stock system, you either have to cut it or drop the motor and trans to get the crossover pipe out.
    2. Install requires welding....I forget exactly...either a new flange on the cat or relocating the current one.
    3. There is no separate Y-pipe.

I ran a Gibson exhaust on mine and loved it.

5. Mar 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    FightFire48

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    What do you mean there is no separate y pipe? also i have a Gibson cat back exhaust and i love it just want some more power!

6. Mar 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    A Y-pipe typically connects the two headers as in Gen II's. This system incorporates it in the design. Look at the pic in the link above.

7. Mar 14, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    FightFire48

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    Sweet man yeah i see it now was the welding a PITA

8. Mar 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Not for me. I bought mine and then discovered I needed to weld them and I don't own a welder. In the end, I had my dealer do the install. Well worth the money IMO.

9. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM
    4421.frank

4421.frank Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab prerunner supercharged
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    so as you have to drop the engine to install headers? If the old headers and y pipe are being replaced by an after market set than just cutting the old one up in a few well placed areas would help with the removal of the old stock system and avoid having any need to lower the engine.

10. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    FightFire48

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    Yeah sounds much easier to just cut it out to me

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I did the TRD Headers last summer and it really wasnt too bad. The only thing that I do reccomend is not try and save the stock manifold. Just hack it up in about 2-3 spots and take it out. Its not worth the time.
    After that, the Install is pretty easy. just make sure you take out the studs too or else the headers wont fit, its kind of a tight squeez.
    Oh and there is welding needed, A new flange needs to be welded to the cat. It can be tricky, I just had my dads buddy do the welding bc I cant.

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    I had the dealer install a set when they had the truck apart for a re-frame. Figured if I was going to keep the truck for awhile might as well add some go to the deal. The welding is to replace the front flange on the front cat, because the TRD Y-pipe is longer than the factory one. I saw that several of the studs had been replaced with bolts, thought that was because they had broken some but now I know otherwise. The headers did add some to the mid-range 2500-4000 RPM, the speedo starts to move a lot faster than the tach in that range. I also added an Airrad intake tube and the teflon Throttle Body gasket from LC Engineering, to try and increase the intake flow to match the exhaust.

13. Mar 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    FightFire48

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco dbl cab
    Awesome when i get back from my deployment I am for sure going to do this. In the instructions does it state the fact that the cat needs a new flange welded on it?

14. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Yep! it does.

Products Discussed in

To Top