1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here and I've got a question or 2

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Primer88, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Oct 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    Primer88

Primer88 [OP] Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    3.4L
    none
    Hi,

I am not a taco owner BUT I'm not new to trucks or performance upgrades. I've got a friend/co worker with an 03 double cab 4wd and a long time friend with a 02 extended cab 4wd. Neither of them are internet or forum savvy nor do they have the knowledge to work on their trucks so they turn to me.

My friend Will isn't much into performance stuff so I just help him with regular things.

Jason on the other hand wants to kick the performance up a little. I say "a little" because his 03 is in near mint condition and only has 20k miles on it and he plans on keeping it as a daily driver for a looooooooong time. Otherwise he'd be all over a supercharger or turbo.

He wants to do exhaust and intake as well as some other mods if the cost is worth the gain in power and or mileage.

I've already read and printed out the deck plate mod stuff so I won't bother you guys with that. Ironically his father in law owns a large boat dealership so a deck plate will be free. His uncle owns a muffler shop so that end is covered too.

I did some searching and didn't really find the answer to this question though. Are you guys switching to electric cooling fans? I can't find any direct replacement setups which I'd like to use but using a universal Permacool or Spal won't be a problem. I was wondering if there is any real gain to be had with that mod.

Last question is about engine tuning. Is it worth (and can it be done) doing tuning with an SCT type tuner?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Oct 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Can't say to much about a lot of that above... but what I can say about the swap to an electric fan is I'll probably do it myself. Not for any performance gain, but more for reliability. I ended up towing my buddies '00 tundra because the fan seized up and would kill the motor any time you tried to give it some gas. (something to see going down a busy freeway, a new taco pulling a tundra on a tow rope). Easy to fix of course, but mechanical fans just seem... barbaric these days.

3. Oct 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Someone will have an answer for you.:) In the mean time,enjoy the forum.:DWelcome to TW.

4. Oct 4, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    Primer88

Primer88 [OP] Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    3.4L
    none
    I did the deckplate mod and he loves it. he needs a new air filter (nasty ass K&N drop in) and an oil change now. I'm going to do the electric fan mod on his truck sooner or later. I assume the stock fan just unbolts with the 5 or 6 (can't remember) at the center of the fan hub?

5. Oct 15, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    Choco Taco

Choco Taco Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    2" Lift 265/75/16' MT's Homemade Prerunner Bar
    yup. I think its actually only 4 bolts tho

Products Discussed in

To Top