1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here! Why should I buy a 05+ Tacoma?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by nismo86, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Feb 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    nismo86

nismo86 [OP] Member

Member:
    I currently have a frontier which I'm selling because I'm wanting King cab as called in frontiers (access cab) you guys, and I want a 6SPD.

I never really looked into tacoma's until now because I do like them, but I don't know much about them. They do seem to be similiar to the frontier (Have a 07)

So why should I buy one VS getting another frontier?

I'd be on the market for a access cab, 4wd, 6SPD. 4.0L

For you guys with the 05+, manual, 4.0L, 4wd...

What are some options you guys really like about yours?

What do you have about it?

Why would you recommend it?

Which year 05/06/07?

I'd be using the truck for 4-wheeling as well as pre-running, which lifts are best for the tacoma? (price/amount of lift)

Anything else would be great!

2. Feb 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I have the I4 access cab so won't try to answer most of your questions but....

Don't bother looking for a used 06 or 07. They hold their value well enough that for the small difference in price you may as well buy a new one.

Happy shopping and welcome to Tacoma world!

3. Feb 27, 2008 at 5:01 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Well, in order for me to...............sell...........you on the Toyota, I would have to have owned a Nissan.
    But here is my 2 cents.........
    Don't see many Frontiers around the Kansas City area, that might indicate they will have a lower resale.
    Personally I like the looks of the Toyota over the Nissan, and that is why I never gave Nissan a look.
    I use to have a 95 I4 Nissan King Cab 4x4 but only owned it a couple years. It didn't do well pulling my bass boat even thought the sales person said it would be fine. Poor little 4 banger really struggled to pull the boat at highway speeds.
    That left a bad taste for Nissans in general, but it wasn't a bad truck other than power.

4. Feb 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I am kind of in the same boat(no pun intended) with CBURT, not having owned a Nissan, I feel that they are good trucks, I think they look good, they are popular in my neck of the woods. If the Nissan salesman wasn't such a dink I would have looked a little harder, but I needed to walk away from him in a hurry before I said something I would have regretted later. I have a V-6, 4x4, DC, and it pulls great, drives great, the 6 speed takes a little getting used to, by all means test drive one. I know the Toyota rep makes them expensive, but I felt o.k. with that. I would drive one and than the other and see which you like best, you might be used to The Nissan Platform, and that would be cool. As for the options, I think the Nismo and the TRD are the same, I know there are a lot of guys bitchin about the tacos not having an I-pod inlet, as for room they are probably the same, I also think they have equal cargo securing abilities.

5. Feb 28, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I have owned Tacoma's for the last 8 years and up until recently I would tell you hands down to get a Tacoma. What changed is my cousin recently bought a 08 frontier double cab 4x4 6 foot bed and I am very impressed with it. I say test drive both and see which one you like the best. Good luck :thumbsup:

6. Feb 28, 2008 at 6:19 AM
    Doug6076

Doug6076 Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4
    I actually own an '05 Pathfinder and just recently bought an '08 TRD Sport DC. I wish that it had many of the features that Nissan offers in their Frontiers and that I have in my Pathfinder, such as Homelink, sunroof, trip info (dte, mpg, etc.), and auto lights. The Nissan V6 also has more horsepower (~265 vs ~235).
    I've owned two Nissans (maxima and pathfinder) and have had mechanical issues with both. My parent's have owned Toyotas for years and haven't had any problems. Also the resale value on Toyotas tends to be higher, especially where I live since the Nissan plant that makes most of their vehicles is 10 miles from my house. In other words we are inundated with Nissans. I was still sold on getting a Frontier until I saw and drove the TRD Sport. It definitely turns heads. This is a great truck and I'm glad I decided on the TRD instead of the Frontier.

7. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I have an 07 6 speed manual 4.0L and I did look at the Frontiers. I know their V6 is boasting more HP, but I could not tell during test drive. I felt the Taco was quicker and responded very well. The 6 speed is a different animal, but it is a pleasure to drive. The shifter has a very positive feel and does not vibrate, or "droop" when engaged. The clutch feels smooth and does not sag. The gearing is close, but you quickly adapt. I have no regrets.

Products Discussed in

To Top