1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New house- basement leaking

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kingston73, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Wife and I moved in November and once the ground froze the first big rain we got water in the basement. Looking around the outside I realized the ground sloped toward the house on the 2 sides it was leaking so the next above freezing day I did some landscaping and created a slope away from the house.

What I am amazed with and really can't understand is why the sellers did what they did to the front. They had the gutters going into the ground and when I investigated I found they'd routed the front downspout TOWARD the foundation and along the side of the house, instead of away from it. Not only did they have it routed along the foundation, it was corrugated plastic pipe, like something you'd use to help irrigate the yard. They also had gravel/stone up against the house, about 2 feet deep all along the foundation.

I'm actually surprised we didn't have more water than we did, this seems like a completely retarded system. Can anybody help explain why they might have done this?

2. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM
    D34thMoogle

D34thMoogle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    '15 White TRD-Offroad
    Toytec BOSS 3" lift DBCustomz Grille Prinsu Designs roof-rack Hood/Bed lights
    Well, up north the stone up against the house is pretty common, to help keep water away from the foundation... Maybe they were from the south, where watering your foundation can actually be necessary? They didn't realize that up north it's not good?

tacoparadise likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    Protosimian

Protosimian Headbanger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Sport
    Dents and scratches, and other stuff.
  4. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    Gamebreaker81

Gamebreaker81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr DCSB 4x4 v6
    Sounds like a improperly installed french drain.

DrFunker likes this.
  5. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Yes sir, the main reason is expenses, money is the bottom line. First you should of looked at this sings before, Lets tell you my situation. I am looking at a new home in Wake county N. C. I want at least two or more acreage to accommodate my horses. I am asking you, if this lot has 5 acre, why the house seats only 50 feet from my next door neighbor? You know, I asked. The answer was as simple as day, the constructor used the same trench to bring in utilities for both of these houses. Do you believe it?
    The house has more then plenty of land, but my neighbor can look in my master from his front yard. The same with your house my friend, they dug for foundation and
    accomplice everything they wish to hide, buried, and with minimum effort. That explains why the rain drain is buried next to the foundation. Money.

6. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM
    Gamebreaker81

Gamebreaker81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr DCSB 4x4 v6
    Yea gutters should be piped away from house. If the lot is flat and the soil conditions make storm water pool, catch basin to collect then piped to a dry well or city drains. Easily fixed, just get ready for a labor intensive weekend

7. Feb 7, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Betting there's a perforated pipe under that gravel and sand to take the water away from the foundation. I had one installed at my place when I lived in NH. Every year I had to pull the grate at where the water dumps out to clean out the crap, or the water would have backed up into my basement.

8. Feb 7, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Reading that wiki page makes me think the previous owners maybe tried for that setup, the problem was the perforated pipe and gravel where above the level of the foundation. It basically created an ideal situation for water to directly flow to the foundation. It's going to be a while now before I can do much with it, we have 4 inches of snow and another 8 on the way.

Have any of you had an experience with Thoroseal? I'm going to treat the inside walls with it after fixing any cracks I find.

9. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Drain rock and perforated pipe agaisnt the foundation is normal , top of perforated pipe should be at or below bottom of basement slab however foundation drains and rainwater leaders should be seperate pipes and rainwater leaders should be in solid pipe unless they are in a leaching field

10. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    So they had the right idea but wrong implementation. The stone layer ended while still above the slab and the perforated pipe was up near the top, just below ground level. I think what was happening was the water from the gutters was getting funneled into the pipe, which then ran down through the stone and pooled when it got to the dirt underneath, which was still above the level of the slab.

11. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Howen

Howen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR M/T black w/Leer 180
    When we bought our home in Maryland we had basement water trouble. We solved it by 1) grading away from the house and 2) extending the downspouts away from the foundation. Our trouble was compounded because the basement has a sump pump, and all that water was cycling through the sump. Ignore the previous owner's failure and route the water away.

12. Feb 7, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    It works well, but that won't stop the water. but I'd re-grade the area in question and direct the conductor pipes away from the foundation in the spring.

Got an exterior pic of the suspect area?

13. Feb 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    With several above freezing days I've been able to build up the ground around the foundation so it's sloping well away from the house and the last few rains it has stopped leaking through the sides but there is still seepage from the floor itself. Any ideas what to do about that?

14. Feb 28, 2016 at 4:58 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Do you have a sump pump in your basement ?

15. Feb 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    No pump. The floor isn't standing water, it's just dark spots in one general area. I think my next move is to get a load of soil delivered and continue grading around the house, it's better than it was but could still use improvement.

16. Feb 28, 2016 at 5:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    If there is no pump , unless the perimeter drains that should be down at slab height can gravity feed out somewhere , the hydrostatic pressure of the standing water surrounding the foundation walls and under the slab will force the water into the living space , plus as the interior portion of the concrete will generally be warmer and drier , it will act to wick the moisture to the interior

17. Feb 29, 2016 at 3:12 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I had to hire a contractor to dig along the front of the foundation (where my seepage was coming in from) down below the foundation. He then dug around the side of the house into the back yard to get lower than the trench along the front of the house. He laid corrugated perforated piping all the way back. Backfilled it with gravel, a fabric membrane, then sand to top it off. Around the side - just rock and soil and reseeded. Worked like a charm. I stuck an old timing gear on the end to keep out the critters. Every rain storm would cause the pipe to gush water out. I was amazed how much water came out from rain storms, and the basement stayed dry.

18. Feb 29, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yep , all that water has to go somewhere

19. Feb 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    So not much I can do myself about it then, sounds like I need to get used to a little moisture down there because I'm guessing the price of a contractor would be pretty high.

20. Feb 29, 2016 at 8:41 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You could get your drains scoped , then you would know if it drains out somewhere , it could be plugged

EDIT : that would require an access to your drains by way of a clean out or stand up pipe , not sure if you have such a thing

Products Discussed in

To Top