1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New issue...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by eltaco, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jun 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    eltaco

eltaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    So I've started to notice a weird issue that wasn't present about 5,000mi ago. It was fairly random at first, and now I can duplicate it whenever I try. The truck has 46k on the odometer, 3" CO lift in front, 1" block in rear. I've done the rear leaf spring TSB and the transmission mount TSB, about 25k mi ago.

Any time I come to a complete stop, the truck "feels" as though it is downshifting a split second before I stop moving. It's not shifting, but that's the feeling I get in the seat. When I let of the brakes, even at idle, I can feel it once again. I don't feel this phenomenon any other time, just starting and stopping at 1mph. It feels as though it's coming from the rear end, but I'm open to all options at this point. Pretty vague, I'm sure, but it's becoming significantly noticeable. No significant noise, just that the truck seems to move as though someone nudged it slightly from behind (when it first happened, I thought someone tapped me from behind)

To be frankly honest, I haven't dove into this much as of yet. Any direction you could lead me in would drastically reduce the time I have to spend on it. I have tried to turn the drive shaft by hand and it seems that the U-joints are in good shape.

Any help you could provide would be quite helpful. Don't think I've ever run into this issue before.

2. Jun 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    hope you get it resolved. do you think it might be axel wrap?

3. Jun 17, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    Bz3r0

Bz3r0 Smackalicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Edwards AFB, CA
    Vehicle:
    White 2017 TRD Offroad
    Under Construction
    There are a few threads on this "lurching" issue when coming to a stop. After i put about 6k on my Taco it started doing the same thing, and as you said it feels like someone nudged your bumper when at a complete stop. Some say they believe its the truck downshifting once you've stopped, others believe it may be axle wrap. I'll see if i can't dig up a few of those threads i've read over the past few months.

-Update-

I'm posting these as i find them, hopefully this will help you with your issue.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/78479-jolting-forward-when-stopped.html

4. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Wow, by going through the post above, it would seem this is a very common issue. However, I haven't yet read that anyone has been able to fix it. Have you guys seen a solution, or that anyone has determined the cause of the problem?

Last night I was driving and I thought that it just might be something with the rear brakes. I drove in reverse and hit the brakes to adjust them, but no-go on solving my issue.

A/C or not, and my RPMs do not actually change. It just feels as though my tranny slipped for a brief second.

EDIT: After reading through the above posts a bit more, I'm convinced that mine is not the same issue. I've had the "lurching" at a stop before, and this is something different. This is the last 1mph when coming to a stop, and again when I being moving.

5. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    i agree with the problem you describe not being related to the a/c kicking on. i'm still thinking it's related to your rear suspension setup somehow causing axel wrap.

6. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Get rid of the block and get an AAL.

7. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Bingo.

8. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Really, you guys think the 1" block is my issue? I guess it's possible, but why would it be starting now as opposed to when I put it in 25k mi ago? I have considered this, but wasn't sure how to check it. I pushed the parked truck from behind and watched the axle. It was kind of surprising how much the driveshaft moved. I was going to go push a new Taco at a dealership and see if it had the same amount.

On a side note: I happened to be looking at new trucks with my buddy a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that a F-150, stock, had a 1" block in the rear. Also, a buddy of mine has about a 4" block on his powerstroke, and I don't feel this in his.

9. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Yes, it's your issue. A block is not the proper way to lift your suspension.

10. Jun 18, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It becomes more prevelant in time, due to the springs breaking in. The block increases the leverage the axel has when trying to twist the springs under acceleration/deceleration. What you are feeling is the springs goeing back into their relaxed state. An AAL will correct this.

11. Jun 18, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
  12. Jun 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    eltaco

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Okay, thanks fellas.

How much will an AAL stiffen my rear suspension? I went with the block because I really don't want the rear any stiffer than it already is.

At any rate, it's good to know that's likely what's causing this issue. I was a bit concerned that it might be something more severe starting.

13. Jun 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    Jettytaco

Jettytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had the same thing. I did some digging around and one of the tacoma owners said to go get the transmission service.( transmission flush at the dealership). Even though our transmission fluid isn't due until 100k, it appears most tacomas coming out of the factory were not filled correctly to the right amount of transmission fluid. ONly dealership that have the machine to measure the temperature of the fluid can correctly fill the transmission fluid to the right level. It should cost around $240 bucks. Hopefully you will find less. I learn that if you tell the dealership that you got a quote from another dealer they will match it. The person who discovered the fix went through hell(5 dealerships, and 3 independent shops) . Then finally one dealership's mechanic ran a thorough test. It drove me nuts because i bought my truck used. This fixed it for me. Good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top