1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new leaf packs causing steering wheel shift?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BarberRider, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Nov 5, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    BarberRider

BarberRider [OP] Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    I had Dakars put on with the long overload removed. I also had sliders installed but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

When I picked up the truck, dude mentioned "when was the last time you had an alignment?"

I had the front done just a week or two before after I put in some spacers. Steering wheel was centered when I dropped the truck off. Got it back after the leafs and sliders and the wheel is about a 16th to the right to go straight.

Just curious what the cause could be. Marie from headstrong included a CB drop, which the shop opted not to install because "I didn't need it". I had a rack and tent over the bed at the time so maybe 300lbs over empty.

Looking under the truck the angle looks fine but I have no idea what I'm doing.

There are noticeable vibrations from about 65-80, but they were there before today. Theyve been there since I bought the truck, got worse with tires, even worse when towing or load in the bed. They may be a little worse after the leafs, but hard to tell. So minimal if at all.

What do you guys think

I can have an alignment and they can probably fix it but I don't want to mask another problem and am curious what could cause that just from new leafs?

I guess just the U-bolts shifting or whatever and changing the axle angle?

2. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    GPsevinSixx

GPsevinSixx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    6112/5160AALfnCNTSTRyokG015
    Thrust angle is off most likely.

BarberRider[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    OK, that's what I was thinking, although I had to look up that term. Is this and easy fix I can do myself? I mean are there marks where they should be? Or is it a trial and error thing? I would imagine if I do it soon I should be able to see where they used to be.
    Might as well do a u-bolt flip at the same time when I fix this.

I'm going to have them do a CMC in a couple weeks when my wheels get here. Is it worth trying to fix it myself before then or should I just tell them to fix it when I take it back?

4. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    Alignment shop can do this when they install the U bolt flip. It needs to be aligned anyways.

5. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    I have 1 yr free alignments from NTB. Southen Offroad is doing this work. I need to have them install the flip so I can make them fix the thrust angle that they got a little wrong. NTB would try to charge me which I'm not going to pay

6. Nov 5, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    Just FYI, alignment shop needs to do this unless southern off-road has the ability to measure your chassis and accurately align.

7. Nov 5, 2016 at 9:43 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    well fuck

how do i babysit NTB to make sure they do it right?

8. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:16 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    If they're a legit alignment shop, you won't have to babysit. If they do it with a computerized hunter style rack, it will show them what's out of spec and adjust accordingly. The machine will babysit them.

Take advantage of the yearly alignments you paid for is all you'll need to do.

9. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:27 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Im no expert so correct me if im wrong, but the axle has little knobs on it that the leafs sit on, which keeps the axle centered with the truck and avoiding this problem. it cant possibly be that easy for the axle to be off centered. you can only put the leaf packs in one spot on the axle which never changes

10. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    In a perfect world.

Last time they did an alignment for my gf they were late and called us to pick it up exactly 5 mins before closing.

I had to ask for the spec sheet which they emailed the next day.

I'm not questioning their machinery, I'm questioning their staff

Traction likes this.
  11. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    Yes, it does have the centering pin and notches to help align it, but it still has wiggle room for the axle to be off.

I installed AAL on mine and had to disassemble the spring pack anyways. Luckily when I installed it, the thrust angle was better than from factory when I did a comparison before and after alignments when I checked my truck at work.

12. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    This ^
    Leaf pack has center pins that lock into the axle. If the leafs aren't blatantly installed backwards or something terribly obvious I would guess the rack and pinion bolts up front could stand to be torqued down a little more. Obviously a re-alignment will be in order to correct your steering wheel being off center.

13. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:42 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    you must not be farmiliar with car shops/ its very common for them to bullshit customers and take shortcuts...

14. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:47 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    I am a former dealership tech. I know and hear enough horror stories and have witnessed line techs pulling BS.

It's unfortunate, but I really don't know what else to suggest if you don't trust the staff.

I'm on the R&D side of things for a car company now, so access to equipment for auto service is still available in case you were wondering how I do my own alignment on the taco.

15. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:51 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    i trust you, I just don't trust them. And not knowing enough myself, I want you to tell me exactly what to tell them and how I can be sure they did a good job.

16. Nov 5, 2016 at 10:56 PM
    GPsevinSixx

Member:
    Ros Angerus
    Vehicle:
    2015twoAX2.4techPAWS
    Find out who and when their most experienced tech is on duty, talk to that person. See if they'll let you watch them work on it and not be a safety hazard for their insurance reasons. Let him know that your truck is "off" after the rear leaf pack change and he should know as I have suggested to you that the thrust angle is likely off and he should check/ adjust that, including adjusting everything up front again.

Make sure it's not the LOF guy. Usually those guys are the worst as they have the most to learn and the least experience.

LOF is lube, oil & filter guy

17. Nov 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM
    Broccoli

Broccoli Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport blazing blue,
    From what i understand, marie at headstrong is one of the #1 people to talk to in regards to lifting/leveling a tacoma according to the forum. If she gave you a drop bracket kit... I would think you should use it. Any reason it wasnt?

18. Nov 6, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    THAT ^^^^ I lifted my truck and didn't put the carrier bearing drop shims in and I got a noisy vibrating drive line... installed the shims problem solved.

You can do that yourself .. that's REAL easy. Use the new bolts and lock washers supplied with the shims.

Products Discussed in

To Top