1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Light Bar Installed ~ Need Lights! Which Kind?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PreRunner, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    PreRunner

PreRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok I know absolutely nothing about lights. I don't even know where to start, or which kind to look for. Here is the front of the truck as of today with the new light bar and skid line-x'd. Pay no attention to the chrome grill, colormatched one on the way. I put red dots to depict approximately where my light tabs are. I want them to hang underneath the top bar, and not on top of it. Need some lighting suggestions please! :eek:

[​IMG]

2. May 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    well first you can decide if you want a flood light or spot light. Then decide if you want HID's or standards. then just go from their on what you like, its basically just preference and the amount of money you may want to spend.

3. May 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    A lot of people are running Hellas, Lightforce or PIAA. I would think those brands are good quality. Also what snowgod06 mentioned what will be be used for most should help with your decision on what beam and HID vs. others.

I am looking at either the Lightforce or Hella myself

4. May 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    SteelDirigible

SteelDirigible Ranger Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    06 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
    Brush guard, K&N Intake, Line-X, In-dash Nav system, Audio system, CB Radio
    First, I really like that light bar, looks good. I've just got a set of Hellas I got at Walmart for $60, they work fine, came with all the wiring and switch and hardwire.

5. May 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    spearhead

spearhead Taco Supremist

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    09 4DR Mag Grey 4WD Sport
    TRD CAI Eibach Springs 5100s all around Front set to .85 Toytec AAL
    :fenforcer:

Seriously, do something with the empty factory fogs first.....not to mention your own grill.

Then look into some PIAA 540s or maybe the Hella Black Magics to put on your Avid bar.

6. May 2, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Nice light bar. If you're not sure about wiring, make sure to look at the top of the screen in the Mods & Tutorials, there's a write up on wiring after market lights that's pretty good. Good luck.

7. May 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    Similar light locations:
    [​IMG]
    Not cheap but worth the money, Lightforce 140s ("Lance") fit, come with clear spot filters, can add wide angle/fog filters. The Lightforce wiring harness (wire in split sleeving, connectors, relay, plastic firewall grommet) is pretty good, although I substituted a Toyota rocker switch (00550-35976) for the simple toggle supplied in the kit.

Decent prices at http://www.off-roadlights.com/xcart/home.php?cat=276

8. May 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    HID have the best light out put with the least amount of watts

9. May 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I have 4 hella 700FF's. The light output is ok and the price was great. If I could do it all over again i'd buy a good set of hid offroad lights. Might be more expensive but the light output would be better

10. May 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    ever think of converting yours?

if i ever end up with mine i am going to convert them to 55w's.

11. May 2, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Thought about it, may do it this summer. I should have gotten hids in the first place to avoid all this extra work

12. May 2, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    I've been doing some research on lights lately, b/c I'm about to get the Avid Light bar myself, and I want to mount 2 lights on top of the top bar (not below it, like you). Like Snowgod06 said...you want to first figure out if you want fog's or driving lights. Fog's are a wide-throw of light, not really meant for distance. Driving lights are sometimes called "pencil beam" b/c they throw light a far distance, but they lack a wide-throw.

The IPF 968's actually do a bit of both. I would say they are 25% fog and 75% driving lights. You can get them at costco for $90 shipped right now w/ white covers, and buy brush/rock guards separately for $40 +S&H from trdparts4u (or spend an extra $20 and just get the 968csg kit that comes w/ the rock guards). I am going this route, b/c Piaa's cost more; I don't like anyone else's initials on my truck ("KC"); and "Hella" lights are a little 'you get what you pay for' and they don't look as rugged as the IPF's (IMO). Along the same lines as "KC", I don't know how I feel about my lights saying "hella" - takes me back to early high school. Although, Hella 500ff fog's are definitely next in line if I want to save some money over the 968's and/or have more of a fog light. They are $70 shipped from Amazon right now. You can also do an HID conversion for about $40 if you wanted to go the HID route but not pay the $100+/light. There's a writeup on here showing it accomplished on the 700FF hella's.

You also need to figure out what will actually FIT where you want to place your lights...Most lights are 6"+ in dia. I actually don't know if the IPF's would fit or not. I hope they do, b/c if I ever decide to do your mounting position I don't want to have to buy new lights.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you an idea of what is out there and what one guy thinks of what's out there.

13. May 2, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    PreRunner

Member:
    thanks all. this is alot of info, still not sure what to go with. but let me ask you this since my factory fogs are plugged ... if i was getting both a set of fog lights AND a set of driving lights, which would be ideal to put on the light bar? :confused:

14. May 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    PreRunner

Member:
    super helpful, thanks! where are u seeing the $110 968 csg's?

15. May 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    Hella 500s are pretty cheap. Im thinking about getting some myself

16. May 2, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    Lightforce are sick. I really want some of those.

17. May 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    I meant spend the extra $20 bucks over buying the lights and guards separately for about $135

18. May 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    Will this light bar hold up pretty good or do they fold like bull bars do??

19. May 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    IPF 968's...seriously. I'm a base model w/o fogs (like you), and if the look is off, or if I ever want more fog covg then I'll install fog's in the factory locations. Again, this is my preference based off my research, ymmv

20. May 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    They've held up pretty well in about 3 incidents (from what I've heard - only saw one set of pics and I was impressed, there was minimal corner fold-in on that particular low-speed accident). Virgilus11 figured out a way to beef up the bracing on them for possible front-collisions. See the avid bar thread for details. I think this is a VERY sturdy 'light' bar - funny how 25% actually put lights on them, haha

Products Discussed in

To Top