1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member, looking to boost S-Runner performance

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by veggiedog, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019 at 2:55 PM
    veggiedog

veggiedog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2001 S-Runner
    SC, TrueTrac, BBK (eclipse rotors, CTS-V calipers), 275/50R17 NT555-G2
    Hi community,

I am here initially to search for information installing an auxiliary fuel system on my 2001 S-Runner (3.4l 5vz-fe) with Magnuson SC. I am not willing to pay $900 for the very basic 7th injector system offered by URD, so I am currently considering adding something like a megasquirt, microsquirt, or AEM fuel control system (30-1910 series).

It would be nice to do something simple like leverage microsquirt's dual channel injector implementation to add an auxiliary fuel injector (7th injector) on one channel and a methanol/water injector on the other channel, but I suspect there is more to the puzzle... I would not be surprised if I attempt to add a small turbocharger later, I already have the CTX turbo manifolds and I am looking for 350-400hp, so I am looking for a solution that will both help me with my current setup (Magnuson SC with varying pulleys) as well as in the future adding more boost.

Update: I opted for both a Megasquirt 3 and AEM FIC-6, and both should be on the way soon. AEM's FIC-6 has been discontinued, but still available on ebay. I also found an amazing deal ($17 shipped) on an AEM plug-n-play harness that I am confident will work fine with the FIC-6 after removing the series 2 connector and wiring it to the FIC-6 cable. The MS3 is up to the task, but the AEM should get me up and running sooner. I have a Hayabusa test platform to play with; I will play with the MS3 on that platform, maybe move it to the tacoma after gaining knowledge, but I read that the FIC-6 should meet my needs. The ms3 can control an auxiliary fuel injector as well as a methanol injector (via fast acting valve), and I really like the idea of methanol injection (no experience, just seems like an excellent idea...).

I suspect I will need more fuel capability (larger injectors/pump); I believe tuning the AEM controller will reveal any problems there. I am eager to try out OD pulleys arriving tomorrow, will need to wait for AEM to arrive from Kuala Lumpur before moving on that front.

I ordered 440cc injectors, a 255lph walbro pump, and a set of colder irridium plugs. Total: $725 with the AEM FIC-6. A very capable fuel/ignition upgrade for my immediate needs: playing with overdrive pulleys to see if they satisfy my desire for more top end. FWIW, I pestered URD to sell me their 7th injector for $700 along with the purchase of two overdrive pulleys, a more fitting price for their solution, but they wouldn't budge much off $900 for their fuel only solution, a much more basic solution, offering only a registered user discount less than 5%. I don't mind paying the same for an out of box solution that costs about the same as a hand assembled solution, but I hate paying more for less (ignoring the convenience factor): I don't feel like a 'real' performance enthusiast taking that path.

The SC provides amazing flat torque, coming on early and staying there, but that results in more thrill at the bottom end if you ask me, as the difference from stock is more noticeable there, but it lacks the crescendo of a high rpm NA motor (e.g. bmw S54, any sportbike) or a turbo with lag (no experience there, but I can dream...). I am beginning to think 300hp is plenty for now, if I get everything dialed in and I achieve more top end surge, and I am hoping to achieve that with overdrive pulley and an upgraded fuel/exhaust system. Waiting on shipping...

I am looking at exhaust upgrades now, but there is a bug in my plan: to my naive mind, a turbo sounds like a win-win when it comes to performance exhaust. I don't mind enlarging the single exit exhaust, catalytic converts and all, without a turbo in there, but I hate loud mufflers, and I fear that there are no quiet 3" mufflers. If the volume is 'smoothed out' via a turbo, I might be OK with that, in combination with a somewhat quite performance muffler, but I really prefer super quite exhausts; really really quite. I love my CBR929RR with factory exhaust: 150hp on 400lb rocket with only a whisper of an exhaust note.

If anyone reading this has experience with really quite performance exhaust on a non-turbo engine please let me know.

Bob

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 8, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    e.deCastro

e.deCastro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 S-Runner original owner
    Exterior TRD 5 Piece body kit Grillecraft grill DDM Tuning HID retrofit Custom etched Lexus HID Projectors Custom two-tone pin stripe by Jprints Chrome Rocker panels Wheels/ brakes 99 Lexus RX300 OEM wheels converted to 3 piece by ChamorroBoy86 Cadillac ATS Brembo 4 piston calipers Cadillac CTS-V Ceramic Brake pads Mitsubishi EVO IV 12.6” rotors provided by BR Autoworks modified by ChamorroBoy86 Subaru WRX STI Stoptech Stainless Steel brake lines Suspension Custom FBSS air suspension Accu-Rate manifold Dual 444c Viair compressors Accuair Chrome tank Custom Polished Hardlines Streetacos weld on c-notch Custom front shock mounts Custom airbag brackets Streetacos ball joint flip kit Engine TRD supercharger URD 2.2” Supercharger Pulley 312cc NA 2JZ Supra fuel injectors JBA Ti Ceramic Headers Spectre Carb Legal CAI LCE Pro Clutch LCE lightened flywheel 16” electric fan HPS silicone radiator hoses Yellow Top Optima battery Custom Battery tie down Universal oil catch can Denso 105 amp alternator AEM 320 LPH Fuel Pump Interior 02 Lexus SC430 trispoke woodgrain Steering wheel Japanese Rose Wood dash kit Authentic JDM Tsurikawa Nishijin Sakura Gold Black (heart version) Authentic JDM Suichuuka shift knob Authentic Junction Produce Fusa Authentic Junction Produce seat cushion Authentic Influenced VIP satin Pillow set Broadway mirror Custom Aloha print door jamb decals from BigHeadzdesigns LCE Short shift kit Electronics Soundstream VRCP-65 Double Din Multimedia entertainment center Alpine MRV-F545 4-channel amplifier Alpine MRD-M1005 monoblock amplifier NVX VCW124 12” Subwoofer MB Quart DSH216 6.5” 2-way component speakers Black Vue 650S Front and Rear Dash Camera AEM boost gauge AEM Uego wideband O2 controller URD Mass Air Flow Fuel and Timing calibrator
    the fuel system isn't as big of a problem as is the ignition timing. I do have a supercharger on my V6 and if I raced or cared about speed, i would just use a URD FTC and I also have a set of NA supra fuel injectors that I ran a few years ago I can put back in. but to be honest, i'm don't really care much for it since it would be a mod that you can't see anyway.

back on topic, after I address the ignition timing, then I would address the fuel, If I cared enough to do so.

Products Discussed in

To Top