1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member, Morgan Hill :)

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by johnboyTRD, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    johnboyTRD

johnboyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    Howdy from a new member AND Taco owner :yay:
    Currently stock, but slowly gathering the following for wheelin' fun:
    Lift, wheels/rubber, sliders, recovery equip, radio

Not new to auto forums... Former WRX addict :burnrubber:

Planning on doing the work myself for the lift in the next month or two because I want to learn how my suspension works, but not feeling too confident on the rear dakar spring install!

If one of y'all friendly gals or gents with experience would be willing to lend an eye and hand for some beer and meal, it wouldn't go unappreciated :D

Looking forward to meeting/pwning the mud with you soon.

2. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Welcome! and the leaf install is pretty simple. It can be a pain if the truck is older just because of rust on bolts but if the truck is new it should be a piece of cake.

3. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW! Hey if you're not busy Saturday some of us are having a BBQ at Santa Teresa Park in San Hoe, good way to start meeting us. We're the coolest group on TW and the BBQ is a good way to come and ask questions and check out some trucks.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293973

4. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Full ome lift, nitro charger sports all 4 corners (rear shocks relocated), Dakar pack w/ AAL, 882 coils, diff drop, toytec 1" shackles, trail gear low profile front bumper, Tuff Stuff winch, bamf sliders, RAT skids, BAMF Bed Rack, Tepui Kukenam RTT, RAT rear bumper,
    Jerry, I'm eyein' your sliders and cb antenna mount, been doin a LOT of lurking, haha. Not worried about rusty or stuck bolts, truck has pretty much 0 rust... Anywhere. And only 80k miles.

Might make it to the BBQ! I think I'm headed that direction anyhow to buy some beer brewing supplies - yum. Will post up what I'm bringing and times after I talk with the wifey this evenin'. Maybe she'll grace us with her presence too.

Btw, I always see a built up 1st gen white taco in mountain view. Know who it is? Looks like they have a baja tube bumper and one of those bed racks arb makes.

5. Oct 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    Robmonster117

Robmonster117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Gilroy
    Vehicle:
    02 ext. cab 4x4
    Truck parts
    Yo! I'm in Gilroy, (lived in Morgan Hill Until recently) also have an 03, and I'm in MH everyday!

6. Oct 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    He makes good stuff. Not sure if it's too late but I would plan on at least having to cut off the bolt on the gas tank side. You might not have any rust but they can be a bitch to get out, especially the drivers side, no room for a bfh. I did't plan on having a problem and did, I couldn't find the right diameter at the proper length at any of the hardware stores and ended up having to leave it on stands over the weekend to find out that the dealers didn't have any in stock and it would take a few days. So I ended up having to buy a bag of bolts from fastenal for like $20 or $30 even with an account. Long story short have a backup plan or you can have one of my left overs:D

Welcome to you both!

7. Oct 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Nice, what color is your dc? I'm in the gold dc, still stock with snuggie and removed side step. Some other guy has the same truck, but he's older and larger than I. If you see a younger skinny guy, throw me the deuces!

Haven't done the lift yet, still researching the install. Finally settled on parts - I'm thinking the full ome kit from wheelers and 882 springs. Nervous about that bolt as well, esp since I don't have good cutting tools. Planning on ordering a replacement set of bolts anyways. Pretty sure wheelers has them as well. I've learned the hard way to replace highly torqued bolts regardless. Thanks for the tip! If worst comes to worse, I can probably use my buddy and a really long breaker bar to snap it... We did that with a fragging huge camber bolt on my old wrx (saved the broken one as a reminder).

8. Oct 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    i used a sawzall and a bunch of blades. A breaker bar won't really help because the springs flex when you turn the bolt. If you have any questions let me know, i can go into more detail on my computer.

9. Oct 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    Robmonster117

Robmonster117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Gilroy
    Vehicle:
    02 ext. cab 4x4
    Truck parts

10. Oct 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Welcome!

11. Oct 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Holy lift batman! I'll def notice that! :) see you around!

Don't laugh but... I don't own a sawsall... Yep. Pretty sure my buddy that's helping has one, and he lives like 300ft away sooooo should be set.

Thx all for warm welcome. Looking forward to hitting trails once the basics are covered.

Edit: thanks for the tip on install!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  12. Oct 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Welcome from the East Bay!!

13. Oct 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Soooo this weekend I worked on the full ome lift... Front done and driver side leaf installed. The leaf was a pita. Some takeaways:
    - We are installing extension and flushing brakes lines tomorrow... The short brake line in there makes it a sob to get the leaf in, and axle lined up. Big lesson here, just because you can do it the lazy way doesn't mean you should.
    - My factory jack was a life saver. Never thought I'd use it for such tasks as wedging between fender/frame/spring to line up parts.
    - ome 882 is not stiff at all on a double cab. Very comfortable ride, and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to try out the Dakars
    - no sway bar on the street worries me and I will be putting it back on for sure. Way too washy.

Will post a pic up soon. Maybe I should start a build thread... Hmm.

14. Oct 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383144899.019889.jpg All done. Check out the bro lean... Yikes. Guess I should think about an aal or longer shackles depending on how the front settles. Got some gnarly cyclical vibes at 45 on the way to mechanic for alignment/oil chg. Hoping alignment is the fix. Wifey will kill me if it is something big like a diff bearing...

15. Nov 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    Razooly

Razooly Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 4x4 TRD off-road
    255/85/16 BFG KM2, Icon Extended Travel Coilovers, Total Chaos UCA, Icon 2" VS Remote Reservoir Rear Shocks, OME DAKAR Leaf Spring Set, Wheeler's Front & Rear SuperBumps
    Great meeting you last night, your truck looked great. We will have to hit the Hills soon.

16. Nov 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    Just to button this up, since I promised a pic... Added the treadwright warden 265/75r16. Lift seems to be settling in, planning on adding a 1" lift shackle in the future.

Consider this thread closed now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384055821.496693.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384055848.462541.jpg

17. Nov 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    johnboyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    South SF bay
    Vehicle:
    I bet razooly can figure out where I live from this pic, ha.

Products Discussed in

To Top