1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member needs help deciding...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Casualdreamer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dec 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    Casualdreamer

Casualdreamer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Deployed
    How is everyone today. I am currently deployed in the Marine Corps thinking of new cars to buy. I originally had a 10' SVT Raptor on order through Military Car Sales but now I am considering the '10-11' Toyota Tacoma DC. I am a Heavy Equipment Operator and frequently find myself in some dirt quarry or back wood training Marines on new gear. I wanted the Raptor for its offroad capability and ride comfort. I had one ordered fully loaded w/everything except moon roof, trailer brake, and tail gate step for like 42,000 w/o tax, tag and tittle. I was taking delivery summer of 10'. The car sales office got an F150 (not the Raptor) here on display finally so I sat in it. (Not allowed to drive it of course) Man that truck is huge. I didn't feel comfortable and I that is what it is about with me.I cancelled the order because I found this site and have always wanted a Tacoma plus the difference in MPG (14-18) to (16+-20+). I hadn't gotten one in the past becuase I had an 03 Dodge Dakota base model extended cab. I got married (now have a 8 month old daughter) and decided I needed to find something more family oriented so I tried my Dodge Dakota (original owner with only 17k on the odometer) for an 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Startech Edition V8 HD from Germany in 2008. It was a flat out trade and the Jeep was still under warranty and really low miles. I know buying used can sometime bite you in the butt but I figured it is a machine you take care of it. It will take care of you. Nothing is wrong with the Jeep (except it isn't 4X4) now except it is sitting in the states waiting for me to come back home. I find myself not being able to drive to the work sites because of the lack of 4X4 drive so I am getting a new car once I get back in the states. The plan in to buy the Tacoma flat out but I don't know what I am wanting to get. I have been reading all I can for the last 3 days. I know I want a for wheel drive and it will be V6 because I do towing also from time to time. More than likely a 6sp Man. I will be buying a westin bull bar, TRD Short Shifter, URD CAI (that runs in front of the radiator). I will be upgrading the suspension eventually but not within the first year or so. Lift will be a must (3in) and better tires. I am askign for help becuase anyting that can save me money in the long run is better. I want something that is comforable and not have me or my family bouncing around on the road with every dip that I come across like I see on some offroad capable vehicles. I like the options in the TRD OR package. I have read the handling thread and I know the difference between the packages. I guess I am asking for opinion based on the use of the vehicle. I am not a rock crawler but I want to be able to get down and dirty if needed to. Opinions is what I asking for. I know it will come down to my choice in the end but being I can't test drive on here and now. The Forum is all I have. Thanks for any help you can give me. I don't mean to start any flare or "Go and Search" beat downs its just where I am the search doesn't always come through and I have a limited time on the computer a day. I love the review you all have written product and just topics in general you are making me glad I made the choice I have. Thank You again...

For those that have been Camp Lejeune, N.C I want to be able to drive on Onslow Beach and not get stuck.

Sgt Williams
    U.S.M.C

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    I have the TRD sport and I never had any problems with mine in OBX :D; I've also been able to pull out a jacked up F350 from the mud. At the time I had no lift and was running Dunlop Mudrover 31's. The URD CAI looks sweet and I wish I had known about that before I got my CAI and the TRD catback sounds pretty good with it too. Not overly loud in the cabin but you can tell when you mash it. Look into the URD MAF sensor calibrator as well, a lot of good reviews. Stay safe out there SGT

Your Squid Bretheren

3. Dec 18, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    Casualdreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Deployed
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I was just readiing the Reviews on the Calib. when you replied. Man, an F350 thats insane. Also thanks for the support....

4. Dec 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Welcome,
    and Thanks for your service.

Yuma Taco,

5. Dec 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    welcome to tw from south carolina. I spent a couple years in J-actionville, don't miss it. Thanks for your service.:)

6. Dec 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    welcome! :wave:

7. Dec 19, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    welcome sarg

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Welcome sarg!!!
    I got trd offroad package on a 07. It has the rear locker. During the winter I use it (4x4) pretty much every weekend. I love it just the way it is. People grip about the stock bfg's, but I have had no prob with them ESP. On the ice.
    Good luck and thankyou for the service!!!

9. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Hello & welcome to TW. :wave:

Thanks for your service!

10. Dec 19, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    Casualdreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Deployed
    So it looks like it is going to be the OR package TRD it is.. Thanks all for the support and info..

Products Discussed in

To Top