1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new noise need some suggestions??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paczowski123, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    Well today my 05 taco developed a new noise. It sounds as if there is a piece of wire or metal. Or debris sticking out from the driveshaft so everytime it rotates it slaps components under the truck. Like a crackling, ticking, clanking noise. I looked and nothing sticks out to me or looks out of the ordinary. At first I thought u-joints, but all u-joinnts I have heard don't really sound like this. The only thing that say u-joints to me is if I accelerate from a stop kinda hard it'll do it as well, but also does it a low speed and cruising speed. It came outta nowhere too not like progressively worse, it just started in a split second while cruising Any suggestions as to what I can look into other than u-joints or does it sound like u-joints? But the best description is the sound is like a rattling exhaust heat shield or a stick or metal hitting compinents under the truck and no vibes or anything.

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
  3. Jan 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Is it speed dependant? Could be simple, like a rock in the tire treads.

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    yes speed dependant and rotational. It not like a rock in the tread b/c i can head it under the truck and it sounds like metal clicking to metal like something is caught on my drive shaft and hitting things underneath the truck. Or like a rattling heat shield sound, but since its speed dependent it couldn't be that it seems.

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    how about a rock behind the skid plate just a idea

6. Jan 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Maybe your carrier bearing is going bad? Check to see if there's a lot of play in it. I'm not sure of the best specs, but mine has about a 1/4" of movement in all directions.

7. Jan 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    I'm beginning to think its the u-joints b/c its starting to make a chirping sound on acceleration as well. Idk may have to get it into a shop to be further diagnosed on a rack.

8. Jan 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    It's possible. Do you do a lot of wheeling? Any water crossings lately? If the grease is contaminated, or low in the joint, it could cause a ticking noise. I've never experienced it. Last time I had a bad u-joint, it was just a clunk when shifing into gear. No noise, just the clunk.

9. Jan 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Paczowski123

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    See coming off a jeep i am not used to this high quality Japanese engineering. Called my local off road shop contact and he informed me the driveshaft and u-joints are serviceable? Never would have thought these trucks come factory w/ zirks on all of the u-joiunts and centering bearing. I bet my noise will be cured after a quick once over w/ a grease gun. to tell you the truth i never have even been under the truck before b/c i have not had a single problem outta it since i owned it. Unlike my jeep which seemed i was constantly working on it. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top