1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Owner. What are my options for iPod hookup?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by uscfreak, May 13, 2007.

1. May 13, 2007 at 9:06 PM
    uscfreak

uscfreak [OP] New Member

Member:
    What are my options for an iPod hookup for an 07 Tacoma with the 6cd changer? I already have the radio tuner thing and it blows. What else can I do?

2. May 14, 2007 at 4:39 AM
    kaszeta

kaszeta Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a PA12-TOY from USASPEC (http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html), although I haven't installed it yet. I'll try to post some pics when I do.

3. May 15, 2007 at 6:19 PM
    Sneakers

Sneakers Member

Member:
    I recently installed a PIE adapter to interface my XM Roady to my stock stereo. The unit I used is a toy03-aux which plugs into the back of the stock radio. This part provides an input as an aux CD. It can be used to hook up one item, iPod, XM radio,etc. PIE also makes one to hook up two inputs. Any questions call www.pie.net. The item can be purchased from www.myradiostore.com or anyone that sells the unit. :D

4. May 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    do not use one called harmon kardon i saw it in the store and the store version didnt work so i thought many kids probly playing with it so i got one 3 months later it crapped out 170.00 dollars store credit it sucked and they wanted to give me anouther one i was like why would i put crap back in my truck

5. May 21, 2007 at 4:00 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer

I recommend the USASPEC as well. Had it for nearly a year now and it works flawlessly. Took me about 10mins to hook up and the quality is outstanding. PS never go with anything that goes through the FM radio. i.e. Wired or wireless FM transmitters.

6. May 23, 2007 at 4:29 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    yea that does look like it might be good but its also right under 200and i you just spen 300 and get me a new deck with high def radio and ipod support and i even get a storage bin thatnks anyway but i like the new stereos

7. Jun 5, 2007 at 10:06 AM
    kaszeta

Member:
    I got it today and installed it, but it was hard to get the camera back to where I did the install.

I basically pried off the climate control knobs, took out the four 10mm screws holding the radio in, and popped the stock radio out. I removed the glove box, and from there snaked the cable from the PA12-TOY up to the head unit. The PA12-TOY itself is attached under the center pillar in some dead space.

The one thing I haven't figured out yet is the best place to run the iPod cable. Right now it runs alongside the right edge of center console, and up to the round cup holder. I could easiest run it to the glovebox as well, but I'd like to have access to it. I may put a bracket in to hold my iPods, or I might just keep using the cuphold.

The adapter works quite well, it looks just like a second CD changer. Like the one in my Mini Cooper, you can set six playlists that map to the CD 1-6 locations, but you can also use the controls on the iPod directly.

I'm happy with it. I paid $125 for mine.

8. Jun 5, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  9. Jun 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM
    brownie374

brownie374 Member

Member:
    I have the usa spec dftoy I drilled a small hole in the tray on the right side of the steering column and ran the cable through when not in use I leave it in the tray.

10. Jun 6, 2007 at 9:24 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  11. Jun 6, 2007 at 3:51 PM
    amocaT

amocaT Member

Member:
    X2 on USASpec or...
    Alpine IVN-w200

The IPod interface is smooth and lightening fast on the Alpine.

12. Jun 15, 2007 at 6:03 AM
    kaszeta

Member:
    One downside I've found with the USA-SPEC PA12-TOY: While it works flawless with our recent iPod and an iPod Mini, it's buggy with an iPod Nano and basically only works right in "Direct Mode."

USA-SPEC has confirmed this. Hopefully it's something they can fix at some point.

13. Jul 1, 2007 at 2:06 PM
    OSUChaseNuts

OSUChaseNuts New Member

Member:
    I have an 07 Non JBL with the 6disk changer.

Does the USA Spec adaptor make the cd changer and all cd's useless? I kinda understand how it makes playlists to each of the cds. It would be nice to have the option of a cd if needed.

14. Jul 2, 2007 at 4:14 AM
    tigerdongal

tigerdongal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Memphis PR Amp, Memphis 10" Sub, Custom Sub-box, Undcover tonneau, Pioneer DEH-P7900BT, USB Adaptor, Steering Column Adapter, Crossfire Car Audio XP2402 on the speakers. Now with dB Platinums and also custom tweeter mounts!
    The USA-SPEC doesnt affect the cd changer at all, you just hit the mode button and it will show CD-1 then CD-2, this is the one you want. I got mine from Crutchfield delivered for around $75. It works very well with my Creative Labs Zen M, in fact the bass sounds a little more for some reason than a disk would. Hope this helps.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vRjrDODUB7u/cgi-bin/Prodgroup.asp?g=50900&avf=Y

It says they are out of stock but its worth the wait. I have mine mounted in the glove box, and the connection wire down by the cup holder on the drivers side. Ive not decided where to put it yet.

TD

15. Jul 6, 2007 at 5:28 AM
    cgsample

cgsample New Member

Member:
    If you keep your iPod continuously hooked up and never touch it, I assume when the truck is running the iPod is charging. When the truck is not running, does your iPod drain completely, then start the re-charge the next time you drive? Will a dead battery iPod play with only the charge power?

Also, is the power used switched off when the ignition is off? Or, constant power? Don't want to drain the truck battery...

16. Jul 25, 2007 at 9:48 PM
    Steve762us

Steve762us Well-Known Member

Member:
    That USA-SPEC looks interesting. Is it just taking an audio-out from the Ipod, like a headphone? I'm guessing that's the arrangement, seeing the RCA input jacks on the USA-SPEC box...so this won't let you select playlists, etc on the Ipod from the radio panel controls, correct?

I read thru the description and a couple of dozen reviews, and nothing was clear on that...

17. Jul 26, 2007 at 5:35 AM
    tigerdongal

tigerdongal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Memphis PR Amp, Memphis 10" Sub, Custom Sub-box, Undcover tonneau, Pioneer DEH-P7900BT, USB Adaptor, Steering Column Adapter, Crossfire Car Audio XP2402 on the speakers. Now with dB Platinums and also custom tweeter mounts!
    Thats correct you have to do it from the iPod itself. Another option is swap out the head unit for something that will let you do this. So far I've spent a lot on this option! lol. I've ordered the USB adapter for my Pioneer and it should arrive today, it lets you control an ipod through the stereo, or in my case can't control a zen BUT can control my nice 2.5" external drive with 30 gigs of music on it :)

18. Aug 26, 2007 at 3:59 PM
    Teknishun

Teknishun Well-Known Member

Member:
  19. Oct 27, 2007 at 7:55 AM
    PinkTaco

PinkTaco Member

Member:
    Stone Mountain, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    basic single cab four cylinder
    plan to get better wheels for my 5 lugs plan to do the ipod thing possibly do the subs in the single cab thing
    hmm.. noob question. i have a factory radio with out a 6 cd changer. ( i dunno what jdl is) but im not sure if i will have the port behind the radio to add a 6 cd changer or not. im just seein if i can find out without ripping out my radio.

20. Oct 28, 2007 at 10:21 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm pretty sure your radio has the port for a CD changer. Even the 6 disc changers have an additional port for another CD changer.

I'm running the ipod2car PXDP (first generation) in my 2007 with 6 disc changer. The ipod2car hooks into the CD changer port. So if you already have an external changer plugged in, you'l have to unplug that to run the ipod2car.

Here's a good writeup on one without 6 disc changer
    http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/ipod2car.html

Products Discussed in

To Top