1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New puppy, keeping him warm

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tarheelfan_08, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:

As far as chewing goes, I have had good luck with bully sticks. But my dogs are a bit bigger than a Begal

2. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    First do not jump on me. All I wanted to know was some tips to keep him warmer. Second we have had dogs my whole life so we know about taking care of them. And we took him to the bet right after we got him and had everything took care of. Maybe you should read a bit instead of getting all defensive.

3. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    We got him a few bones tha the loves and we play tug of war with him with a dog tug of war toy

4. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I know, but there are bunch of dog lovers here, myself included. I am, and I beleive there are others, who are pet lovers. You sound like you have the pups best intrest in mind. P.S. the best dog I ever had slept at my feet. And no I wasn't allergic to it.

5. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    I have had dogs all my life, and pretty much everyone I know has dogs, I have never heard of a 100% outside dog, just seems cruel.

So around this time of year the poor little guy spends most of his time outside, by himself, in the dark. Seems pretty cruel to me. You should have gotten a different breed that doesn't cause allergies.

6. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Yep...begals aren't outside dogs. We want pictures of that little bugger in the house infront of the fireplace. If you keep it outside in the winter there's a good chance the dog could freeze to death.

7. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yea We love this dog like a kid. That's why we got him a wireless fence so he can run free. Got him a dog house with a shelter over it so he can roam around in an area where it's always dry. We know he is warm and cozy, we just want to make it all one step better

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    If it was ever that cold we would do something different. Like let him in the workshop. Since it does not get that cold we are good. We may get. Him a dog house heater though. We seen a few online

9. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:

I actually have to force my Akitas to come inside in the winter. Even when its 20-30 below. They have dog doors and come and go as they please but will choose to be outside till I force them in and make them stay in.

10. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    no offense here but, dogs belong inside it kills me when i see dogs outside.

i treat my boy merlin like he was my own child :eek: and i'm sure he leads a happier life for it lol i wouldn't mind having his life. if you took it upon yourself to get a puppy give that dog the best you can both in your time attention medical care and a warm cozy bed when ever he want one.

both my dogs have their own tempur-pedic beds lol the great dane has his own king sized version and multiples throughout the house.

good luck with the new puppy and post some pics.

11. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    They are heaters made for dogs and just to be extra safe we would put the cords in PVC pipe. Regardless of anything we do not plan to bring him inside. But we will let him stay in the workshop if it gets supper cold

12. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:

Definitely will, post pics of that king size bed, I have to see it

13. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    here in az i'm more worried about the summers rather than the cool winters.

my dogs stay outside like 80-90% of the time, i'm pretty sure they like it better that way.

14. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I'm sorry I was almost the first to jump on you for this post, Hell I am in Florida and peoples dogs die here because of the HEAT and the COLD also. In NC just make sure the pup has protection from the elements. Dogs are seen as tools where I live, for cattle and live stock. It gets cold here also I think the OP is doing he right thing.

15. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    PreRunner03

PreRunner03 Hail State

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner Double Cab TRD
    Never had to worry much about the cold down here near the gulf but I do know that dogs live longer when they don't endure the extremes of the elements as much. Had a cocker spaniel that lived outside most of her life except through hurricanes/extreme tropical weather or 90+ degrees. She was happier outside though. Current black lab/boxer mutt loves the outside and will often lay in the grass for two or three hours even in the summer but lives inside due to her trying to play with raccoons, possums, hogs, and meter readers. It is safer overall for the dog to live inside, though I don't see anything wrong with a dog living outside for a few months out of the year.

16. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    bgsmith

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    Yeah but they are big dogs that are well equipped for cold that have the option and comforts of an inside home, not a beagle puppy.

I am sure the dog will be warm as it sounds like you have a nice shelter for him, I just think he will get lonely out there all by himself most of the time, mist dogs, especially very active ones like beagles need a lot of attention.

17. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    In the summer he is set. He has a huge shaded lot filled with those wood chip things and we keep him plenty of water. He also has trees over the lot to add to the shade. The breader used him as a rabbit hunting dog, we are not hunters but may take him to chase a few one day.

18. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    That's why we have him plenty of toys for when we are not there and every day regardless of the weather we go outside and play with him till he is to tired to play.

19. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    bgsmith

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    Understood, but now that it is winter and is dark early he is probably going to be alone outside from 5pm until morning, I assume you work so he will then be alone all day too. My point is dogs require companionship not just playtime to tire them out, every dog I have ever had just enjoyed being around people, didn't have to be playtime though.

20. Dec 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    P.S. We do want to see the pictures of the new addition(santa hats or deer antlers);)

Products Discussed in

To Top