1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Rear Leaf TSB T-SB-0305-08

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BeefTaco, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Oct 14, 2008 at 5:05 AM
    Ahaszard

Ahaszard Active Member

Member:
    St Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD Off Road Rugged Trail
    Took mine in with the TSB and they said no problem. They ordered the parts and said they would call when they came in. This is the same dealership that told me they would not change them about 2 months ago. Taking the TSB with you lets them know that you are knowledgeable about the problem.

2. Oct 14, 2008 at 5:30 AM
    Infinus

Infinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab SB TRD Sport
    I live in Bloomington, work down at Crane.

3. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM
    brent206

brent206 New Member

Member:
    seattle
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    I've complained to my dealer (Kirkland Toyota) about the rear suspension (squeeks, bottoming when bed is loaded, and the bed bolts becoming loose) since 2006, when I had 33,000 miles on it... and still under warranty.

I've brought in again at 36,000 next at 41,000 and now at 43,000 each time saying the same thing. This time though, I was lucky enough to find this site and print out the service bulletin.

They checked it out, and said.. Yep, the suspension is failing just as in the bulletin... but I'm out of warranty. And they said it doesn't matter if that suspension problem was documented at 33,000 in my service... its too late now.

So, that leaves me with the extended warranty from National. They called National out to the dealer. National said they disagree with Toyota, and they springs look fine, and won't authorize the service.

I called Toyota headquaters. They said they same line as the dealer. Its up to National if they want to pay for it to be fixed. I asked to speak to a manager, because I feel there is case to be made since I have the issue documented from 33,000 and again at every service. They said they don't care, they look at the black and white, and its out of warranty. I asked again to speak to manager. And here's the response I got. "No." I asked why. He said my case doesnt' warrant it. I asked what would warrant it. He said, "If you feel I've given you some faulty information." I said I do feel that way. He said. "I've only given you accurate information, so you can't speak to a manager". WHAT THE HELL????

I can't believe this is Toyota's service.

Its probably worth noting I've had only 3 issues I've ever complained about to Toyota service.

1. 2 inches of water in my cab after a major rainstorm. they tried to tell i just left my windows open. I faught, and eventually they found it and fixed. turns out this is a service bulletin due to defective cowl seems. (BO004-05 APR 05 Body - Water Leaks Onto Front Floor)

2. loud engine ticking, especially when its cold. I first raised this back at 23,000. (And have it documented too.) They said its normal and almost convinced me of it... untill i found this site and another bulletin (EG021-06 APR 06 Exhaust System - Ticking Noise Between 2,000-2,500 RPM). They still haven't agreed to fix it. They also said, since i'm out of warranty, I have to pay for the diagnostic.

3. The leaf springs... which I've already covered above.

Man. I really expected more out of Toyota.

4. Oct 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    dbet

dbet New Member

Member:
    North Central Oklahoma
    I too have complained about the rear springs bottoming out on my 2006 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 for the last year and a half. To date I have had no help from my dealer. I purchased the extended warranty at the time I bought my truck (120k miles or 8 years). My truck now has 102k on it.

Think I will have any luck if I present my dealer service manager with a copy of this bulletin??:confused:

5. Oct 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW. Don't forget to post on the new member section. I believe the TSB is only good for 3yr 36k warranty. Unless you find a really good dealer.:cool:

6. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    WestTexasTacoma

WestTexasTacoma Active Member

Member:
    El Paso TX
    Vehicle:
    08PreRunner TRD Sport DC
    Jason Bed Cover, K & N Drop in Filter, Flowmaster 40 series Bilstien 5100's front TSB done
    I got my rear leaf tsb done on my '08. Wow you guys were right, what a big difference in the ride. My suggestion if you want it done is to call the toyota 1-800 # and get a case number. Doing this made it a very easy process. I took it in on thursday (last week) they just installed it today!!:D

7. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM
    mdgribble

mdgribble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton Nevada
    Vehicle:
    08 SILVER DC TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 886 front and dakars in the rear. ARB front bumper, 12000 winch, relentless rear bumper, Stubbs Hd-sko sliders, Relentless full skids
    Off this morning to Reno Toyota to get my rear leaf TSB done on my 08 DC, no questions asked all he wanted to hear were those magic words " Rides HARSH with a load in the rear".

8. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:08 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    You will be pleased. Make sure they ordered the correct parts.:cool:

9. Nov 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Get copies of the documented complaints with the suspension. Write up your experiance (in a professional and informative manner, try to be firm but polite about it), and mail a copy to the CEO's office direct. Go to your dealer and hand them a copy of it and state you've already mailed a copy to the CEO's office. My buddy does this with lowes all the time, and they get stuff resolved before the office even gets the letter. Last thing in the world they want is to have the CEO call down, say they've been informed of this issue.. and have to resolve it that way. They're giving you the run around, and it's pure BS that you are getting punished because you have a lot of miles to put on (I know, I've had my truck since end of july and at 7,800mi).

If there's one thing Toyota is known for, and why they sell so much, is they're excellent customer service and reliablity. They've wronged you on both fronts this time. I'm sure they'll try to make up for it, pissing their customers off is the last thing they want to have happen.

10. Nov 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    alfawuf

alfawuf Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    I installed a 2 1/2" lift on the front and 1 1/2" lift block on the rear, is Toyota going to turn me away from the TSB service?

Any body have experience getting TSB springs with a modified suspension?

11. Nov 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    mdgribble

mdgribble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton Nevada
    Vehicle:
    08 SILVER DC TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 886 front and dakars in the rear. ARB front bumper, 12000 winch, relentless rear bumper, Stubbs Hd-sko sliders, Relentless full skids
    Way ahead, did that yesterday, and your right just got home from Reno, and very pleased with the way it rides. The ride is more solid (trucklike),and still very smooth, no jarring what so ever. Cant wait to put on a load and see how it does. Pics will be posted soon.

12. Nov 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    As I posted somewhere else, I had the TSB service done yesterday. This morning I was at the gas station filling up, and I noticed that the drivers side still had the 3 leaf spring. When I got home, I checked out the whole suspension (I only looked at the passenger side at the dealer) and I wrote down the part numbers on the rear springs. Sure enough, old part number on one, new part number on the other. I called the dealer back and told him they made a mistake. He said he had his "senior technition" do the work on my truck, but to bring it back on Monday morning. My bad for not checking it better before I left the dealer, but geeze. Even I can count to 4. So, everyone who has this service done, check out the whole settup before you leave.

13. Nov 16, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    Goshawk

Goshawk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Klamath Falls,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    K&N cold air intake. 5000lb Air Springs
    Good point in checking the work after it is done, Senior Tech or not...I plan on marking my springs and taking a photo prior to having the work done....Sad that we have to do this, BUT, sometimes to protect yourself you have to do things that shouldn't be necessary in the first place.... :cool:

14. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps

I had front spacers and 1 inch blocks on the back with Timbrens as well.
    They just charged me extra to put all that stuff back on. If I remember right, it was 69.00 for the front spacers and 75.00 for everything else.

I have since taken off the blocks and returned the bump stomps to factory.

15. Nov 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM
    Silver_Jim

Silver_Jim Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma DCOR

Yea, its funny you wrote this. I had mine done about 10 days ago. I didnt notice any real difference. So I looked at the part numbers and they were the original parts, not the replacements... So they are doing it over tomorrow with the proper parts. Kind of irritating. I will definitely be checking it out closely before I drive off the lot.

16. Nov 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I was quite worried about getting any kind of warranty work done since I imported my Taco from the U.S, and was worried about the hassles I would get from Canadian dealers. I went to a Canadian dealer about 2 weeks ago with the TSB in hand, and they booked me an appointment, no questions asked. When the parts arrived in about 2 days, I checked that they had the right parts and part numbers. My appontment was for the following day, and when I got it done, I noticed there was no mention of an alignment on the work order. I thought I'd drive away and see if it needed an alignment first. Sure enough, the steering wheel was not centered when I drove straight. I went right back to the dealer, and the service rep gave me the "Toyota Canada does not cover alignments" line. I showed him the TSB, and he told me that was an American TSB. Another service rep told me she would ask the service manager. After 20 minutes of waiting for the service manager to get out of a meeting, he said, "No Problem." The first service rep told me that it is being covered under the one year warranty, and not the TSB. I think is a lie to cover his mistake. However, I don't care how it's covered, so long as it is covered. I got my Taco back from the alignment, and it drives great! It used to bounce quite a bit when I went over bumps towing my travel trailer. I'll find out how it tows next summer when I take my trailer out of storage. Anyway, I was shuttled from the dealership to work and back when they replaced the springs and when they did the alignment. I noticed the dealer's shuttle vehicle is an American model Sienna. No issues there!

17. Nov 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I don't know whats up with these dealers. We use the internet to make sure things are done right, you would think the service managers out there would have the same info as we have. I wonder haw many people have had TSB work done incorrectly and don't even know it. This site is a must for Tacoma owners.

18. Nov 20, 2008 at 7:48 AM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    I took it back this morning and its all set now. About 45 mins to install the correct leaf spring. They bought me a coffee and a newspaper while I waited.

19. Nov 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    jdubh

jdubh Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Just had mine done. It was the first request my dealer had had ever. The service advisor got the manager and he approved wondering why the service advisor just didn't do it. Haven't towed my 27ft 5500lbs trailer with it yet but I expect it to be better.

20. Dec 29, 2008 at 4:41 AM
    hutch606

hutch606 Well-Known Member

Member:
    My (second-hand) 2005 has serious problems in this regard...I know it's not eligible for the TSB, but does anybody know how much the (Toyota) hardware costs for DIY's? I've seen other kits, typically focused on lift. I don't care about that, I'm more concerned with carrying more than 75 lbs without having the truck bed on the street...so I should also say I'm open for suggestions of non OEM brand hardware...

Products Discussed in

To Top