1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new shocks and lift

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgdeer1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    right now i have a 2.5" spacer lift for my prunner. it rides like crap, i was woundering if you could buy bilsteins and put the old spacers on.. would it still ride bad or would the new shocks with the spacers be alittle better?

2. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    AlexanderD

AlexanderD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    03' tacoma 4x4 trd step-side
    if you get bilsteins for the front you wont have to use a spacer as they have adjustable ride-height.

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    right, but what if i want more than 2.75" of lift? can i add the spacer on there? what about the back. i have shackles, it sucks! would is the proper way to lift back? AAL? and where can i find that

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    if i remove the shackles and AAL will that smooth out my ride.. when i hit a bump with the ass end.. it Jumps the bump going 2 mph.... it has no shock and is fuully extended from the shackle.. Well since the shackle is adjustable.. should i drop it a notch or to to get mmore travel in my shock?

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The spacers are the reason why your truck rides like crap.

Consider what happens when you hit a big pothole:

With the spacers you have a limited amount of downtravel due to the suspension already being extended. The front of the truck will drop down instead of just the wheel dropping into the hole in the road.

On compression, the wheel will move up and the shock will bottom out before the LCA has a chance to hit the bumpstop. The whole thing is made worse by the fact that the truck is already lower than it normally would be because the suspension wasn't able to extend and keep the truck's frame at a normal angle.

People break shocks this way.

Aftermarket shocks are designed with more travel and allow the suspension to compress enough so that the LCA will hit the bumpstop before the shock bottoms out. Things will work as they're designed from the factory instead of components fighting each other.

As for the rear, the AAL removal will smooth out the ride a bit but it's not really a solution. The longer shackles in the rear cause similar issues as the front spacers. The springs will negative-arch before hitting the bumpstops and wear out the leaf packs much faster. Get some new leaf packs with the proper arch for the rear and go back to the stock shackles.

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    i think the most lift you can get in the front with the stock A-arms is 3 inches (someone confirm) and if you go with 3"s you need to drop the front diff to make your cv joints last any sort of time.
    in the rear. i think AAL's from what i have read on here are a much better way to go. that being said i think a new set of shocks will make a huge difference in the rear end handling bumps.

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    AlexanderD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    whitby Ontario
    Vehicle:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and what mjp2 said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  9. Apr 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    For your truck, I would recommend the Bilstein 5100s on the middle setting with either the OME 880 or 881 coils, depending on the amount of lift you want. If you have shackles and aal in the rear, I would check out the aal to see if it has square cut ends. If so then I would remove that and install a 3 leaf aal set in its place. Also throw some new shocks on the rear (5100s or OME).

Products Discussed in

To Top