1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New snugtop on Friday. Prep questions

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by BigBeej, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Feb 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    BigBeej

BigBeej [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vista, Ca
    I am getting my new snugtop rebel put on this Friday. Any tips or suggestions I should do prior to getting it installed for sealing purposes? The installer does fill the front gaps with the butyl tape stuff.

2. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    HayHay

HayHay Member

Member:
    I work for a Snugtop dealer in Alaska- I don't think you need to do any prep besides take anything out of your bed :) we don't love moving full toolboxes etc... Snugtop has factory bulb seals on the bottom edge (that sits on bed rails) of the canopy instead of tape on foam. The Rebel has a good drip edge all the way around on Tacomas

3. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    HayHay

HayHay Member

Member:
    Post a picture when you are done- I would love to know your thoughts

4. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want it as water tight as possible.. Maybe pull the bed rail caps and run a bead of silicone along the edge and reinstall rail cap.

Mtn Mike likes this.
  5. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    HayHay

HayHay Member

Member:
    I respectfully don't think that is necessary.This is a Rebel on a Ford- the edge of the canopy overlaps your bed rail so that you don't even see it. Even if you pressure wash your truck you will get water through the window drains and the vertical lines of your tailgate before you get water through bed rail area.Rebel Ford PS.jpg

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    tcjacado

Member:
    Maybe... the typical cap sits on top of the rails with no over lap, which is why I mentioned it. That looks good, but I would still be have concern with water running down that semi hidden seam. Even so not a deal breaker as the cap can be removed and problem areas can be addressed if needed.

7. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    HayHay

HayHay Member

Member:
    Full disclosure- I sell Snugtops ;) Not trying to be an a$$, I just like showing off what I have learned in the last year since starting a new company/being a female in a male dominated field. Here is the bottom of our Snugtop sample. This is the seal that Snugtop uses, it is glued to shell from the factory and along your bed rails you have a double line of it. snugtop sample bottom.jpg

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    tcjacado

Member:
    Full disclosure... I am not trying to piss on your parade... and I believe you. Just relaying what others have experienced with their shells. They may not have been snug tops.
    It is more of a general warning to anyone putting a shell or tonneau cover on.;):cheers:

HayHay[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 13, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    HayHay

HayHay Member

Member:
  10. Feb 14, 2019 at 2:51 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    Definitely seal under the plastic bedrail caps before the installation. It's a common leak point even though the Snugtop Rebel itself should be generally leak proof. I used Geocel Proflex RV sealant but silicon would probably be good enough. There's a good thread with instructions on how to do it around here somewhere.

Other than that you can fine tune it after the install. I also sealed the cubby storage holes and the gaps near the tailgate. I still need to get a tailgate gasket but I haven't yet because not a lot of water actually comes in there despite there being a pretty big air gap. Mine is pretty water tight. I'll get a few drops in the bed after a high pressure wash or driving through heavy rain. I'm not even sure if the water is coming through the window seals or what. But it's not enough to worry about.

Products Discussed in

To Top