1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New speakers and amp, need advice...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by servin247365, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    servin247365

servin247365 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am in the market to get new speakers and an amp to power them. I have a 2010 double cab, I don't use a lot of bass so no sub box. I am going to stick with the stock HU for now until I decide on a NAV system in a year or two. I am looking into these speakers and tweeters for the front and rear. I am not sure on what amp to get, any advice? Does the HU have the output connection to send signal to the amp? Do I need tweeters for the rear, or do most people just have them in the front?

Thanks!

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Get a head unit now, even a cheap one, you'll still be listening to the same crap output that you hear now, it will just be louder and clearer crap, and in that year or two timeframe the new HU will pay for itself in that time.

As for the amp, I'm a big proponent of the Alpine V or X series amplifiers. The V series amps are cheap but sound great - the MRP-F300 runs about $150 locally, while the X series amps run about $250 (locally) for the MRX-F30 amp

Here's a link to Alpine's amplifier webpage: http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/amplifiers

As for the speakers...

The speakers (IMO) have the biggest impact on whether or not you like the sound of your stereo system, and therefore, trying to buy speakers that you think you will like WITHOUT LISTENING TO THEM first is the biggest mistake you can make, so get in your truck, drive down to the local audio shop, and spend 30-45 mins listening to music you normally listen to.

Don't want to deal with a salesman?? Just tell them that you're there to listen, not buy, and politely ask them if they can get you set up to sample the different speakers. Most have some sort of a control board where all the equipment is set up on a number-based switching system... Just punch the number of what you want to use and you're good.

The stock HU does not have output connections to send signal to the amplifier, although many decent amplifiers are set up to deal with speaker level inputs.

You do not need tweeters in the rear, although you certainly can if you want. You've got a 6x9s and tweet up front, and 6-1/2s in the rear, and no matter what, you need some sort of an adaptor plate to put aftermarket speakers in.

I would venture to say that most of us here on TW run 6-1/2" component speakers (woofer and tweeter) up front, and 6-1/2" coaxials (or nothing) in the rear.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    Soccerdallin

Soccerdallin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 3.4L V6 4X4
    Magnaflow exhaust w/ tip, 18" Rockstars, AEM CAI, TB Spacer, Billet Grille, Limo tint, LED tail lights, 20,000k HID headlights + Blue LED strips, debadged, Jl Audio Subs in custom box, 6X8 speakers with tweeters, sony deck.
    I would probably get something a little cheaper than those polk audio speakers. There's tons of other speakers that sound amazing that are around $100. I have ones similar to these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA...rch=Pioneer+VENDORID130&searchdisplay=Pioneer

and I LOVE them. They can go very loud haha. I also have some 1 inch pioneer tweeters, which make a big difference. Those polk audio speakers look nice, but there are more 'bang for your buck' speakers out there.

I have a Kenwood 9105D mono amp and a couple JL AUDIO w3's...and my system is bangin. Rattles my whole house when I'm in the garage.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36228574/VIDEO0076.mp4 (this was today in fact)
    &
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoaCShuLZmc (this was a while ago)

just a short sample of my system :D

I just have my tweeters up front, but you could always use some more in a double cab. I don't have a special amp for my speakers either, since it's all just powered from the amp in my head unit. Plenty loud for the whole block to hear at least haha

4. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Sorry but fail.

Products Discussed in

To Top