1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pudge151, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i have been thinking of getting some new speakers up front in my 08 DC.

i looked on crutchfield because they come with a free install kit (bracket, wire harness that they value at $40...)

im looking for an upgrade over stock with I assume some $50 speakers will be. Do i want 5-1/4" or 6-1/2" speakers, mounting brackets will come with either size.

also 2 way or 3 way?

im keeping my stock head unit and little tweeters in the top of the door. just looking to upgrade the front speakers

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Get some speaker adapter rings. There are a couple guys on here that sell them. Most are made out of MDF.

A 6 1/2" speaker will make a little better bass. I think most Tacoma owners choose 6 1/2", myself included.

Go with a component set. It has a woofer and a seperate tweeter you can mount in the stock location above the window switches, and most have a seperate crossover to seperate the highs and lows.

Go to a local audio shop and test different speakers and find which one you like. Every one hears differently so recommending speakers over the internet is kind of pointless.

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    onesixseven

onesixseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Santa Clarita California
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3.5" Kind Coilovers Total Chaos UCA's 31" BFG A/T's 8000k hi/lo HID kit Flowmaster Super 44 5% tint all around exterior LED's Deck Plate Mod bedlined flares debadged Full Fosgate/JL Audio Stereo
    yea, unlessyour gonna do oem integration with an amp, or if your gonna change the HU out, its gonna sound akward, stock HU's sound the best with stok spkrs. plus, i nice single din HU is cheap anyways

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such

X2 You will notice a big difference with a nice HU. Start there then decide on the speakers.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    bigswoleone

bigswoleone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    11 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Alpine CDA-117 HU DLS Ultimate UP6i 6.5" comps Polk 6.5" coaxial rear-fill Polk MM series 10" sub Kicker ZX700.5 amp
    After I changed out my head unit with a single din alpine, the difference was incredible. You can get a decent HU online for pretty cheap. I would definitely start there because in my experiences stock HUs do not do aftermarket speakers justice.

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    i agree with the new headunit and i have rockfords all around not amped but they are running on more power from an aftermarket headunit also I am selling my headunit with dash kit and wiring harness already soldered if you are interested here

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    I have to agree with everyone that has posted up to this point. You will not find aftermarket speakers with the sensitivity of the stock speakers, meaning that your stock headunit will be dramatically under-powering those new aftermarket speakers. This is significant enough that you will find that new speakers would actually provide significantly reduced bass and midbass compared to stock.

For $50 I would consider adding some deadening to the doors over new speakers. I would actually recommend doing nothing over new speakers run off the stock headunit.

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Just wanted to add, speakers are always intended to be OVER powered (by 10-20%) rather than underpowered. It's possible that by under-powering you can fully expand the diaphragm and not have enough electrical energy to pull the cone back in. IE, if you buy 150w speakers, you need a head unit capable of at least 175w or 200w. IIRC the stock head unit is 120w or less.

Products Discussed in

To Top