1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Speedo Possibility

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nvrenuf, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    nvrenuf

nvrenuf [OP] Whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saint Johns, FL
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro Taco; 6MT
    Hypothetically ;)... If one were to have accidently bumped the speedo needle while trying to unplug and/or cover the annoying TPS light due to the addition of aftermarket wheels/tires, causing the needle to fall below the "zero" mark....

Tried to take it to a speedo shop to have it fixed, but the guy couldn't get it to stay, so we installed a small pin for the needle to rest on at the "zero" mark.

Speedo still works fine, and is within 1/2 mph of being accurate. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I might be able to find a new/used speedo, how much $ I'd be looking at, at how "legit" would it be to accurately set the ODO... I'm really not trying to scam. I plan on keeping my truck for MANY more miles, and I want the ODO to be accurate.

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:26 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Had the same thing happen. Wined it clockwise until you feel resistance, 1-2 turns. Then reset it at 0. Same for the tac. Fuel and temp sit below 0 when there off so its harder to reset. When its at 0 and you cant push it lower without force and its free to move higher, its fixed.

Shouldnt have screwed a pin in. Just needs to be turned back, unless the needle gear is broken. The guy should have known how to fix that.

Youd need to buy a new cluster from a wrecker in your area, take it to toyota with your truck to get it reset to your ecu. The cluster and ecu info need to be the same for the system to work. Will cost you over $100 at toyota.
    If you were on the west coast id be able to take out the tpms LED.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/162197-so-cal-led-gauge-swap.html

Let me know if you need anymore help.

3. Feb 3, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    nvrenuf

nvrenuf [OP] Whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saint Johns, FL
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro Taco; 6MT
    Yeah, The speedo repair shop I took it to was a whole in the wall place, but the guy seemed to know what he was doing. He tried to rewind it, but it would never stay put. The gear must have been broken.

So, for know I have a little pin holding the needle and a small piece of electrical tape covering the TPS light. It'll work for now.

If I ever come across a good deal on a gauge cluster, I might pick it up... especially if I can find one already ugraded with some nice LED's.

Thanks for the info though.

Products Discussed in

To Top