1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New taco owner, 2RZ-FE rebuild questions

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by RedAce, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Jun 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    RedAce

RedAce [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    99 2wd SR5
    Tonneau Cover, blown head gasket
    Howdy tacoheads, I'm the proud new owner of a '99 2wd SR5 tacoma in need of some major TLC and I have a few questions for y'all.

Some background: 2RZ-FE motor and auto tranny. Head gasket is assumed blown since its cooking all the coolant out through the exhaust. App. 160k on the odo. Grill is missing and a little bumper damage from low-speed collision. Havent started it to hear it run, and not going to but the former owner drove it a short distance home after he overheated it. I've rebuilt a number of 20 and 22-R & RE motors but never anything this new, so i'm in uncharted waters here.

My questions:

Badges say its an 8/98 truck but the title says '99. Is it a '98 or a '99 and does it make a difference?

Should I go with the Chilton or Haynes book for the motor rebuild?

With 160k miles should I bite the bullet, pull the motor and do rings and bearings or can I get away with just doing the head with the motor still in?

Former owner had a new head gasket and head bolts but couldn't talk any of his friends into doing the work for him (go figure). Do the head bolts need to be replaced every time the head gasket is changed? I know in some motors the bolts stretch and cant be reused.

Finally, I payed $900 for this little gem. Other than the minor front end damage the body and interior are in good condition, paint is scratched but decent and it came with a tonneau cover and air shocks in the rear. Did I get a good deal or am I going to be upside down in this truck before I get it running?

Feel free to just answer one or two of the questions if you don't want to write a book like I did here. Thanks for your help guys!

Aaron

99Taco.jpg

2. Jun 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! Being as it was manufactured in August, thats the start of the next model year, so its a "99". As for the engine, pull it out, and do a full rebuild. You can add some performance parts to it (pistons, etc) for a few bucks more, and get a bit more power.

3. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    gbouch63

gbouch63 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4
    If your getting antifreeze thru the exhaust check and make sure the head isnt cracked before you put a lot of time and $$$$ in it. Good luck with your project

Products Discussed in

To Top