1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma, having problems already!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by banditdog, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 V6 Double cab
    AFE Pro Dry Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Hellwig AAL, TonnoPro cover, pop 'n lock tailgate handle, gave those long ass mud flaps a trimmin'!!!!!!!!!
    Last week I became the proud owner of a 2012 Tacoma - Double cab, SR5 4x4 V6. I have 250 mi. on it now. I am really bothered by the overly stiff gas pedal, as it gives me a cramp in my foot & up my leg from pushing so hard after 5 min of driving. Also, the engine seems quite sluggish going up very slight inclines, you have to pound the throttle to get going! Also, it does not maintain speed when driving either in town or on the highway, even though you are keeping the throttle depressed. So again, you have to pound on the gas pedal to get back up to speed. I dont think the brakes are sticking because when you let off the gas, the speed doesnt overly decrease.....am I being too hasty by calling the dealership to have them look over it already? I totally appreciate any feedback!!!!!

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    What was your previous vehicle?

and Welcome to TW! :D

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Can't be for real.

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Try moving your foot higher up on the gas pedal, I've had similar issues and that always seemed to work. It only ever bothers me if my legs are tired or on long drives

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    AFE Pro Dry Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Hellwig AAL, TonnoPro cover, pop 'n lock tailgate handle, gave those long ass mud flaps a trimmin'!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the welcome!!

Tacomatrd99 - I am so for real, and its really got me worried!

My previous vehicles were a 2009 Camry LE, and hubby's 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7, which I miss TERRIBLY!!!! I never had any trouble like this with either!

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
  7. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    X2

You may just be used to the way your other vehicle drove.

8. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Go to the dealer, try the gas pedal in a few Tacos and other cars in the showroom, and see if your pedal is stiffer. If so, you could have a bad gas pedal module. it's very easy to replace (two screws and a wire connector).

9. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    I know this seems weird but the Camry had more pickup and it was a 4 cyl., so far 11 mpg.

10. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Being used to a 5.7 will make a 4.0 seem weak. A Camry is much lighter then a Tacoma, and will hold speed better. I've never noticed the pedal being stiff, personally. Maybe it just needs to be broke in? Cruise control would probably help in pretty much all of your worries, though.

11. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    I think I will do that, I just cant imagine this being normal for a Toyota, maybe justa glich!

12. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Jonesn13

Jonesn13 Nifty

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '16 T4R Trail Premium, 08 AC 4x4 6spd(Sold)
    Some, Suspension and stuff, tires, maybeh some armor.
    X2

13. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I owned a 07 Camry v6 se and the taco has Definetly more power than the Camry.

14. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    This...

After not driving anything but a Chevy "Bread Van" at work in Korea for a year, finally getting back to the States and driving my new Taco felt weird, and I thought the gas / brake pedals were touchy. Probably just going to take some adjustment to the vehicle size / handling tendencies, but if you really think there is a problem, trying out some other Tacos or going to the dealer couldn't hurt.

Welcome to TW!!

15. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Keep in mind that you purchased the heaviest Tacoma that you could buy. It's going to guzzle gas if you're not easy with the pedal. Be easy on the gas and keep it under 2k rpm and those MPG will go way up.

If you "punch it" all the time to make it run like a 5.7, your gas mileage is going to eat you alive.

16. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    IDK, I came from a 5.7 Hemi Ram and have been pretty pleased. No it doesn't have the torque of the Hemi but it does pretty good. I do tend to drop speed when cruising hwy speeds though. Maybe I'm used to the heavier Ram coasting more or just the torque keeping me from having to use more pedal. :notsure:

I do agree about the Camry being lighter therefore being more responsive, it is a truck we're talking about.

Never noticed any stiffness in my pedal either.

Welcome from GA btw.

17. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the feedback!! I'm sure I will get used to these things...I'll see how thing go in the next while.

18. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Give it time. First, at your mileage, the ECU is still figuring out your driving habits, among other things. I can say this (with minimal authority) because I have the same truck (now with 1600 on the clock).

I live in a hilly area and going uphill, if you want to *move*, you gotta mash the go-fast pedal (I don't - call it age). It is a heavy truck to start with. Now, if you slam the throttle and can't get it to move, that's another issue/problem.

When I drove home from the dealer (interstate, 30 miles, but hilly), I found that I had to be more aware of how much throttle I was giving the motor - it almost seemed as if the accelerator was designed to push BACK on my foot. But I come from a family that ran boats for a living and the adage "Run her slow and she'll always go, run her fast and she'll never last" sticks in my brain. So I went easy on the truck.

1600 miles later, I think that certain springs, bushings, etc. in the throttle system have broken in. When I *need* to go (merging with traffic), she has it. When I prefer to take it 'easy', the feel is the same but the truck does fine.

Give it a while to learn (the ECU). If it still sucks balls after 1000-1500 miles, take it back and bitch like a mofo.

19. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that makes sense, I'll put some miles on it and see how its performing then before I head back to the dealer. I'm sure things will be fine, just needs to loosen up bit eh? Besides, its too damn good lookin' to even think about getting rid of it!!

20. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    BlueTaco07

BlueTaco07 Super Mod!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Panama city, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    I have never had a problem like this with my 07. However my dad just recently got a 12 and his pedals are alot more stiff then mine. I think you might want to wait to see if everything breaks in his is starting to lighten up. He took it to a shop for the brakes because they were very hard to push in and they adjusted the brake pedal and some other things not to sure but now its more spongy and comforting.

Products Discussed in

To Top