1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma, having problems already!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by banditdog, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4x4 V6 Double cab
    AFE Pro Dry Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Hellwig AAL, TonnoPro cover, pop 'n lock tailgate handle, gave those long ass mud flaps a trimmin'!!!!!!!!!
    Ah man dont tell me that! I'm going to be optimistic though, still love the truck despite issues. What was the outcome for these issues you heard about?

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    AFE Pro Dry Filter, Bilstein 5100's, Hellwig AAL, TonnoPro cover, pop 'n lock tailgate handle, gave those long ass mud flaps a trimmin'!!!!!!!!!
    Well if things start getting better I'll post with an update, maybe it will give some insight to others that might have the same issues...just need to chill for now and enjoy the ride!!!

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    there's gotta be some way the tension can be adjusted on the pedal. but then maybe not....if I'm up around the dealer I'll swing in and talk to a mechanic, they're pretty cool to deal with. But its 70 miles away!

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    HRDTACO

HRDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner DCLB
    to come!
    Also remember that its a truck... So its geared like a truck.. A car will seem to have more pickup becsuse its lighter and geared more friendly for the road i.e. Not towing or hauling.

5. Jun 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    CDNTACO

CDNTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB-SR5
    Fog Lights, Pop&Lock Electric, G4 Elite Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Bug Shield and Window Deflectors, Smitty Built Nerf Bars and Bull Bar, WeatherTech MudFlaps, ProEFX Tow Mirrors
    I also just bought my Taco last week. It took me a while as well to get used to the 2012 DCLB SR5. I find I drive like an old man off the line now....well I am 51, but I crawl from a dead stop and find I have to give more gas to get her up to speed quicker. No other reason than it took less foot pressure to accelerate my other vehicles versus this one.

I'm getting used to it but the Taco pedal definetly has more resistance to push down on versus my former Kia Rio and my wifes Rondo. In fact tonight I took the Rondo out and darn near put myself in the backseat when I first accelerated. It's also a V6. The pedal just depressed easier than what I'm used to after driving the taco for over a week. Must be a feature for the offroad crowd. You want the resistance to be higher IMO so you don't inadvertantly gun it because your getting tossed around a bit.

You'll be fine OP, I think it's just a matter of getting adjusted.

6. Jun 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    i think this is a truck by truck basis. even though all these trucks are spec'd the same, i believe you get some better ones for whatever reason, but i think it goes with any car. we have some police cars, (crown vics) that are dogs, and some that are very fast. for instance, when i got my truck, they had to replace the alternator, and gave me a rental for the week. it was a 2011 Dcab short bed SR5 4x4, with the v6. it had 2000 miles on it and was the biggest piece of shit i have driven. engine ticked like a bastard,it sounded like shit, and had no nuts. my truck, is a 2008 Dcab short bed TRD Off Road 4x4 with the 4.0 v6, and it fuckin screams. it sounds good, it doesnt tick at all, and is stock as well. (now it has a lift). so idk, but i think some of these trucks are, for whatever reason, bigger champs than others..

7. Jun 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The Toyota pedal is indeed heavier than many. As my dad once said, a Tacoma isn't meant to be driven by a woman in heels.

I find it perfect when I have my steel-toed boots on for work. I drove it without cruise for 6 months (before I installed it myself) and the pedal didn't change but my muscles adapted to it.

It's better than the opposite - trust me. My Fit had the softest pedal known to man. Sometimes with my boots I'd have the pedal to the floor before I realized I'd even touched it. If you check out fitfreak a lot of those folks put an extra spring on the pedal just to make the cramps from supporting the foot go away (and the S/C'd guys to make the tire replacements go away).

x2 on the ECU... it takes at least 3 tanks of driving before it really settles on a consistent program. Default is runs extremely conservatively both ignition- and throttle-wise, which I find very odd considering most vehicles are aggressive out of the box and tame themselves with use (you know those tales about resetting the ECU before running the 1320? don't do it with a Tacoma). The last time I disconnected the battery to install the cruise the truck felt like a colorado 5 cylinder for a week and got bad mileage for a month. I don't want to do that again but I dread the day I need to.

8. Jun 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    Welcome to the 2012! Ha, seriously, it will get better. Either my foot got stronger it the dang peddle gave way a little. The first 1000 miles were weird. Gas mileage sucked and it felt like a slug compared to the power of previous vehicles. But after about 1200 miles it started getting about 19 MPH and feels super powerful for a v6. I freaking love this truck and think you will too. Of course if you get to 1500 miles and it doesn't get better, like the other owners say, take it to the dealer. Hope everything smooths out for you!

9. Jun 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    navarski

navarski Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Navarski
    Yuma County
    Vehicle:
    V8 killer
    TRD Cold Air Intake , DTLTH, performance Y-pipe, Fuel pump upgrade. 2.85 pulley TRDsupercharger/gen1 o2 sim
    I would call the dealership anyway. Before they think You messed it up.

10. Jun 16, 2012 at 3:47 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Get into another new Tacoma and see if it's any better then yours. Traded in a 2010 Tundra on the Taco, and those trucks had all kinds of different gas pedals "feels" to them. People would go to the dealer and have a new pedal assembly installed, and it would cure it. On the Tundra, I think the pedal was revised after all that shit about unexplained acceleration a while back, stiffened it up, and a lot of people didn't like it. Might be some thing like that here?
    My 2012 pedal is, well, slightly stiff, like they want you to push it to accelerate, self governing? MPG thing?

11. Jun 16, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Sounds like a design change in 2012 with the gas pedal functions? But coming from the 5.7 most cars will "feel slow". :D My 4 banger feels quick until I drive something with power...

12. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:09 AM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    My 2012 feels exactly like my 2010. I'm not sure much has changed as far as gas pedal components or engine. Fuel mileage will get better after 10K. Try running a little extra tire pressure if you want the fuel mileage to get better

13. Jun 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I do not know about the pedal pushing but my old Tacoma's SR5 seats (non-trd) did not have as much thigh support.
    On long trips my leg cramp. Not after 5 min though.

The tundras gas pedal has a very different feel than my old tacoma as well. Very touchy, throw you back touchy
    it took me awhile to get use to it going the other way.

Also the V6 mpg likes the rpms in the 2k range as mentioned.
    My mpgs from my tundra pretty much match what I got for 5 yrs in my 06 V6 Tacoma DC auto 4x4.

GL w/ your truck welcome to TW

14. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    I do remember the Tundra having a really soft gas pedal, when I would go from driving the 4 cyl. Camry to the Tundra, wiskey throttle like crazy!!! And I almost forgot about bumpy roads, real hard to keep your foot from gassin' it. so maybe the harder throttle isnt so bad. I guess I'll find out today - thats why I got rid of the Camry. I spend too much time out in the boonies and sick of having to ask Hubby for his truck. Now I can throw in the fly pole and dog, and haul ass whenever the hell I feel like it.

15. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    This is what I keep hearing too is it takes time for the computer to settle in with your driving habits. wouldnt surprise me, all this technology's got me so lost! not like the good ole' days, guess I'm gettin old.

BTW - no heels here!! Those are for girly girls :) Sneakers or MX boots!!!!

16. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    Emergency brake?

17. Jun 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    banditdog

banditdog [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Price, UT
    Vehicle:
    nope, the brake system was one of the first things I checked, its working ok....thanks for the thought!

18. Jun 16, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    If it's not a factory defect, Check out sprint booster www.sprintboosterusa.com
    Pricey but I'm getting one for my next upgrade, my 2010 TRD OffRoad doesn't have nearly the amount of pickup my 2007 TRD Sport had.
    Oh and aloha and welcome!!!

19. Jun 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Hmmmmm Should have bought a 1st gen tacoma. :D

I would call the stealership and ask them what is up with the tacoma. Maybe they can adjust the foot pedal for you.:)

20. Jun 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    My mother has has had two Camry's and their pedals are much lighter than most cars, barely touch it and you're wide open! I'm glad my 2012 Taco is stiffer, helps me control the throttle. Put some miles on it 2-3k and hopefully it will break in for you, or you will get adjusted to it. I feel the same way when I drive my wife's Corolla, totally different!

Products Discussed in

To Top