1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new tacoma owner have questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bass mechanic, May 19, 2008.

1. May 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    ok this is my first tacoma. it's not new but new to me. i traded in my 07 ridgeline to buy my wife a lexus for her birthday. since i like to go dirtbiking i needed a truck to haul my bike.
    so i found this 96 on craigslist and i need a little help understanding whats different about the trucks in different model years.

first of all, what so different between a 1996 and 1997 that TRD does not offer a super charger for the 96? the engines look the same to me, even the service guys at the dealership didnt have an answer. they thought it might be the ECU

2nd, my truck is an LX it has power steering, brakes A/C and cruise control. i would like to know if it is possible to add factory door locks using existing wireing (power windows would be nice) there are 2 large connectors near the drivers kick panel that look to me like what would be used to connect these items. i want to know if i go to a junk yard and get the parts i need out of an sr5 truck what would be needed to add these features to my truck.

3rd, if i wanted to add locking differentials does this require a major rear end overhaul? (dont think ill use it much i just thought for snow it might be handy)

anyway i think i got a good deal on this truck it only had 127K on the clock the truck looks nearly new inside and out given the age. T-belt appears to have been replaced, A/C still blows cold, and i put a new heavy duty clutch in it as it was almost done. now it drives like a new truck!

thanks in advance

2. May 23, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I have an 06 tacoma, so take what I say with a grain of salt! :laugh:

I'm not sure about the door locks, but if you already have the harness at the door handle you could probably do the power locks. Windows would need the actual power window motor and maybe some other parts, but door locks might work if you just get the switch assembly. (Check an SR5 to see if there a motor or actuator on the lock too). I mean, if you can find the stuff cheap at a junk yard no harm in trying it!

As for the rear locker, you can get an ARB air locker. Get the complete kit and it should have everything you need. You could install it yourself and save labor, or pay a shop to do it. Although it'll probably run at least $1500 for the parts. At least, that's the last I heard from someone adding one himself. Either way, it gives you something to look into. That or a ratcheting-type locker. That just replaces some of the gears in the rear diff, is always locked, but will ratchet to allow one wheel to spin faster while turning. Search for "lunch box locker" I think. That might send you in the right direction.

3. May 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    thanks for the reply, one thing i did not mention is that i i noticed i have a low fuel warning light on the dash that doesnt work. i got a schematic and traced the wired to find that there is a bulb and i was able to make it turn on by grounding the wire in the harness.
    so i went to the dealer and ordered a new one for my truck only to find out that there was no thermister at the end to activate the light. so the parts guy said there is a different part number for the SR5 and i got that one instead. sure enough it had the thermister on the end and i plugged it in after opening up the gas tank, volia! it works!
    so i know for a fact that at least some of the wireing between my truck and an sr5 is the same. i suspect toyota makes a similar wire harness or at least the same main harness so that to make it an sr5 they simply plug in ir add the necessary wireharnesses where needed and plug in the necessary modules.

speaking of modules. i saw a pic the other day on this site of what is behind the driver side kick panel. there seems to be a small black box there that i suspect plugs into some of the mysterious harnesses i have i suspect it has somthing to do with locks or windows. maybe a keyless entry? can you tell me what it's function is?

i also found another wire harness dangeling above the glove box, i dont have a light in there im sure thats an easy junkyard find. further proving my point, i think the truck is wired for a lot of things i dont have.

4. May 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I'm not sure what that box is. I'll try to remember to look at mine and see if I have the same thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top