1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to me 2015

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Almost Canada, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    Almost Canada

Almost Canada [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab trd
    Hey guys, just got 2015 double cab with short bed. Looking into tonneau cover, any suggestions specific for this truck.. have read some threads.

Looking for easy install, will be taken off for kayak rack, which brings me to my next question...

I have the Yakima outdoors 300, from what I have read, the best way to attach to the bedrail system is the thule XK3 clamps. Is that still the best option? Works well?

Know a machinist, might have something fabricated if those don't work...

Oh yea, anything to look out for?

Thanks

2. Dec 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Nunya Bizness

Nunya Bizness A-A-Ron aka Stunny Gunny

Member:
    Welcome to the Forums! :thumbsup:

3. Dec 12, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    pearing

pearing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    Welcome! I was in your shoes this summer... so, I bought a Tyger tri-fold cover. I bought based on price and reviews. This is what I know: The cover works great-it covers and is water tight. It sheds snow well and is super easy to get on and off. It is also a PIA because it is too big when folded to use my tailgate pad for hauling bikes. For 90% of what I have used the truck to haul it has been perfect and honestly it is well made. Not sure, but a roll up might be better; but, can it handle the snow load???

For a rack, I had my welding class kids help design a modular system that uses Toyota's rail system, AND goes out and over the cover. It is getting powder coated right now, but once back I will post up pictures. I can carry 5 bikes over the cover with the gear under and out of the weather. The rack 'system' pins to the rail 'system' and can be removed in a matter of seconds. The rail system stays, but is also easily removed with a 9/16 wrench; but, the cover has to come loose if not off to facilitate this level of change. I will next weld up racks for canoe/kayak that just pop in. Cool!

Hope this helps some. My students questioned the tri-fold, but I have been happy (and the price was great compared with others...)

Pat

llamasmurf and Almost Canada[OP] like this.
  4. Dec 12, 2018 at 4:12 AM
    Blockhead

Blockhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2019 magnetic gray DCLB
    You can get a nice tri-fold for less than $300...easy on/off, durable and looks good. Check Amazon...

5. Dec 12, 2018 at 5:36 AM
    Almost Canada

Almost Canada [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab trd

Interesting to see what you came up with, the rack over the cover would be nice but not sure if it's possible with the Yakima uprights I have.. would be ideal..

Also, PIA? not familiar with that one..

6. Dec 12, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    pearing

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    Forgot the T...

7. Dec 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    pearing

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 quadcab
    If the Yakima uprights are like a gutter mount my system would work-weld on a rail for them to clamp too. It will be clearer when I can post pictures... Soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top