1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New-to-me 4-cylinder questions!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by dhnm18, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dec 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    dhnm18

dhnm18 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06' 2.7L 4-cylinder Access Cab
    Hey guys, this is my first post!

I just sold my WRX and picked up a 2006 2.7L 4-cylinder Access Cab with 142k miles off a lot here in Santa Fe for $10.5k! I am feeling like I got a pretty good deal!

The carfax report was clean, but when I call the Toyota dealership to request the maintenance records, they give me the run around about privacy of the previous owner and how they cant release any of the information about what sort of service was performed. The last service was performed at 139k miles.

Seeing as how I can tell for sure what was done at that time, I'm building a list of things I'm going to proactively perform to ensure that this truck keeps running for a long time. I'm hoping the seasoned 4-banger crowd can add anything I should consider doing at this time to give me more peace of mind,.

So far, Ive got:

-change oil and filter
    -Inspect/change spark plugs
    -clean/replace cabin air filter (New Mexico is verrry dusty)
    -inspect brakes
    -check and probably change transfer case and differential fluids
    -replace transmission oil
    -lube propeller shaft
    -inspect CV boots

The truck seems like its been very well maintained by the previous owner, but I think knowing that the above items were addressed will give me peace of mind. From just laying underneath the truck, I can tell the previous owner added a Hellwig leaf spring kit on the rear (2" lift?) and put a big beefy 3/8" steel bumper with tire carrier on the back. (Ill post some pics when I get off work!). I dont plan to use the truck for any serious offloading beyond some of the jeep trails in N NM and southern Colorado.

Thanks in advance for your help

NAAC3TACO and BillsSR5 like this.
  2. Dec 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    dhnm18

dhnm18 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Or if there is a 2nd gen/ 4-cylinder "Service Checklist after buying a Used Truck" sticky somewhere someone can point me to? I think I've got a good start above but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything model-specific...

3. Dec 7, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Nomad_Pilot I need to pewp

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Shoot welcome man.

Check coolant levels

I would grab the top of the front wheels and shake them sideways to check hub bearings too.

Se if he did the charcoal filter removal mod, ifor not, do it..it's free.

Maybe treat it with some sea foam through the intake, it's probably never been done.

Check the filter in the air injection system so if it's OK. There is a big thread on it, search AIS it will come up

Since the last owner modified the springs, I would check and make sure the u bolts are still tight.

Other then that, just drive it.

4. Dec 7, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Welcome!

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    Clear7

Clear7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 2.7L - tried tested & proven
    You mentioned you wanted to keep it for a while.. not sure you want to put this much work into it, but personally I'd add this to the list of a truck with 140k without service records (you don't know if that 139k service was simply an oil change).:

- definitely change the diff and xfer case fluid. Be sure to use proper fluid for each.
    - I'd change your brake fluid.
    - power steering fluid. (If this has never been changed, which is one of the most over looked fluids, the difference this will make is night and day. Plus it saves your pump.)
    - clean battery posts if any white crap on them.
    - not just check, but full coolant flush. (old coolant is acidic.. very bad...)
    - check your belts, any sign of cracking, replace.
    - look at all hoses for cracks, splits
    - the suggested wheel bearing test is excellent.
    - remove calipers, pads, rotors. Clean and lube them up. By lube, i mean caliper pistons, back of pads, pins if applicable. Brake clean rotors.
    - remove rear drums. Check if the cylinders are leaking. Also spring kits a dirt cheap, but if you're not comfortable with that, give it a good spray down with brake cleaner.
    - lube parking brake cable where it goes into the drum assly.
    - I'm not sure if ball joints or steering arms are greasable on that gen.. check for a grease fitting.
    - You mention driveshaft.. check them all for grease fittings.
    - check for driveshaft play at ujoints.
    - if suspension is filled with dirt, grab a brush and rags, clean it up.
    - overall check of suspesnison never hurts, just see if anything is loose.
    - a can of fluid film around suspension parts is always good too.

Lastly.. welcome!

6. Dec 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Oh dang Clear7 said my suggestion was excellent....warm and fuzzies ! ! ! !

7. Dec 7, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    dhnm18

dhnm18 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Clear7- thanks for a comprehensive and easy to follow write out of all of that. I’m planning to do the transfer case and both differentials (Using a GL-5 75W-90 synthetic oil in all three, as I understand?). Plan to drain and replace the transmission fluid, too using a GL-4 75W 90 sythenic oil. I’ll follow your list from there! Thanks.

Bell- Thanks for the hub and ball joints test, I’ll plan to do that as well. Didn’t think to check u-bolts on the leaf springs either, will do. The ride is a bit stiff with that extra bow spring on there! Would that have been an off-road specific mod, or maybe to beef up for towing? Can’t imagine anyone would have been towing anything that large with thee little 4-cylinder, max rating is 3500lbs, correct?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  8. Dec 8, 2017 at 3:31 AM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    Yeah. They did it because of that big rear metal bumper and spare tire carrier, plus probably had bigger tires on there at one point. Does it have any front suspension changes? Tow with mine all the time. Nothing huge but 14 footer trailer with 3 atvs and two dirt bikes on the bed with cooler and camping gear. It does ok. Not a power house but you shouldn't be towing in 5th really anyway.

9. Dec 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Check the valve clearances, easy to do, but hard to actually adjust (bucket/shim style valves).
    Especially note the exhaust valve clearances, if they are too small, get them adjusted to avoid
    burnt valves.

10. Dec 8, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    redzmvt

redzmvt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Western Wisc.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 4x4 Auto stock
    Bone stock for now
    If you register on the Toyota owners site,all records will change to current owner.It did with mine.That is if work was done by Toyota.

2010tacoma2tr likes this.
  11. Dec 8, 2017 at 8:39 AM
    Johnders

Johnders Spacer Lift Survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Access Cab Tacoma Base
    2" Lift , 265/75R16 tires, K& N filter, MBRP Exhaust
    In addition to all the above I would also suggest taking a peak around the water pump, seems to be a common place for leaks on higher mileage 4cly. It can be tricky to spot if your not underneath with the skid plate off. I bought my truck with 150k , did most if not all of what was recommended by others here. but it took me a few months before I happened to be under front end and noticed old dried up and some fresh coolant leaking from the bottom of the pump onto the motor. Never saw a puddle on the ground or smelled it so I don't know how long it may have been leaking for.. Just another CYA suggestion

12. Dec 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    Nomad_Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    2trfe has hydraulic lifters. No valve checking here

GDT likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top