1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new to scottsdale

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 1stevertaco, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Nov 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    1stevertaco

1stevertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2000 taco 4x4
    sway bar end links
    hey folks, new to the state, love the outdoors

and was hoping someone could share some nice trails that you can camp off of, that aren't in the desert.

are camp fires prohibited in such places?

any help would be greatly appreciated

pm me if you feel need be.

2. Nov 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    SamGoingHam

SamGoingHam IG: SamGoingHam

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2014 TACO 5LUG LOCKED
    Camp fires are fine now. They just aren't allowed during dry seasons. Pay attention to the camp signs when you go out. It should have a meter showing the danger levels of a fire.

Just head up North towards Stonemann, Camp Verde, Cherry, etc. That's where I like to camp with my friends.

3. Nov 18, 2016 at 11:58 AM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    Even the high country is still "high desert"...

My go-to for getting out of the valley is up towards Kohl's Ranch. Basically NE of Payson off the 260. There are hundreds of miles of access roads and trails out there and tons of spots to camp pretty much everywhere. If you're looking for more "civilized" camping, Christopher Creek, Kohl's Ranch and a little further up on top of the Rim to Rim Road and Woods Canyon Lake.

Since you're in Scottsdale you can just drive straight north on the I-17 and go up to Flagstaff or better yet, Sedona for some pretty awesome camping. I've also gone out the 618 (turn right instead of left when you get off the I-17, the opposite way to Sedona) where there's lots of spots. Go past Sedona out Oak Creek Canyon and there's some amazingly beautiful places.

What Sam said about camp fires. Check out the Forest Service/USDA website and look up the different National Forests around (Coconino, Tonto, etc.) and they'll have listings for burn bans which during the summer even includes charcoal and target shooting! It's dry here, yo!

Don't knock camping in the desert, though... It can be fun too especially now when it's cooled down. Check out the area by Cave Creek, Seven Springs, etc.
    When I first moved here I lived over by Shea Blvd and Via Linda so it wasn't very far of a drive and you were out in the middle of know where. Never camped down south (Tucson) but I'm sure during the winter it isn't too bad...

I've lived in AZ for 12 years and coming down from Oregon wasn't sure what the camping scene would be like... It's pretty awesome! Different, but awesome.

4. Nov 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM
    TaylorU

TaylorU KC HiLiTES Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    ADS 2.5" coilovers, Light Racing UCAs, 2.125" rear ADS shocks, Raptor-Style Grille using Homertaco mesh and BAMF letters, MB 352 wheels, 285/75r16 Cooper ATPs, Mini D2S 3.0 HID Projectors retrofitted, KC Flex 20", KC Pro6 light bar, KC G4 LED fog lights, Pelfreybilt front bumper
    Welcome to AZ! Plenty of spots here around Tucson too! There's also Mt. Lemmon which is forested, and down south near Pena Blanca Lake or Patagonia Lake (or even Parkey Canyon Lake, which I've never camped at) to camp and have fun!

What brought you here at GA?

Products Discussed in

To Top