1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New To Site and need help with 99 tacoma manual shifting 4x4 problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NLtoy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mar 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    NLtoy

NLtoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Paradise NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    Hi I am new to the site and am recently new to the wonderful world of 1st gen tacomas:rolleyes: recently did a transmission clutch and tranfercase relpace on my 99 tacoma xtracab with a 2.7l engine and the 4x4 seemed to be working fine but the light in the dash stopped working within the past month then i went offroading one day went to put the truck in 4 hi shifter went in but no front wheels turning 4 lo same thing happened next morning went out and only 4 lo would work now tonight of course in a snow storm nothing working again so i was stuck with a one wheel drive rig in a jesus snow storm anyone have any suggestions as to what this maybe please help me as i need the 4x4 to work

2. Mar 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    tacovic

tacovic Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    take it back to the place you got your transfer case replaced and see what they say. maybe they goofed something up on the install

3. Mar 27, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    NLtoy

NLtoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Paradise NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    did the install myself bought a gearbox from a used parts place with the transfer case attached. 4x4 was working fine used it quite a few times in the past 3 months until recently when the light stopped working and now it wont engage but when i tried it in 4 hi tonight it seemed to have a semi loud hum when driveing and seemed to kick in and out of 4x4 and it did go into 4 lo once for like 30 seconds and stop working again

4. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    maybe there was something wrong with the used transfercase or maybe you missed something on the install. the manual transfercases are pretty bulletproof so i think the transfercase is malfunctioning. maybe the gears are stripped or something

5. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    NLtoy

NLtoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Paradise NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    ok thanks. going to haul the thing apart tomorrow and have a look if not it looks like it will be 2wd for me just looked at my recipt and my warrenty was up the 21st of this month. fackkk

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    tacovic

Member:
    MN/WI
    Vehicle:
    00 4x4 TRD
    stock for now
    take it in and see if they will do anything about it anyway. sometimes places will still accept warranties if they are a week or so late.

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    NLtoy

NLtoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Paradise NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4
    Checked it out today and the T-case is going into 4x4 but the front wheels are not spinning so im thinking its either the automatic locking hubs or the front diff because when i turn so far to the left or right it will engage the wheels but when they go back straight they disengage also i checked the front driveshaft and theres about an inch of play where you can move it forwards or backwards not sure if that should be like it or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top