1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Tacos - interested in getting new double-cab I4 and looking for info.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Thinkerer, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    Thinkerer

Thinkerer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab PreRunner for the freeway.
    Downsizing from my old F-150 (and its fuel bills) - interested in info on the double cab 4 cylinder 2WD since I don't do a lot of serious hauling or off-road.

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    What would you like to know about them??:confused:

3. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Thinkerer

Thinkerer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab PreRunner for the freeway.
    What would you like to know about them?

If the I4/dual cab/auto combo is a workable proposition for general use or something that will beat itself to death trying to hold freeway speed? From the HP rating and general postings it seems like it's a good road truck.

My previous trucks were/are:

One of the original Ford Rangers (4-Cyl/4sp/2WD and a thundering 62 hp) which was a great truck - if you're in school and don't have a lot of money. Loved the mileage and ability to do anything, hated the fact that you actually had to check the wind direction while driving on the freeway as a headwind would slow you down. Drove it through 135,000 miles and it was still running well when I sold it for parts (the rest of the body etc. was gone).

Second truck is a `97 F-150 with a V-6. Great truck but at 190,000 miles it's about time. Big, roomy, economical for a full size truck (rated at 19 freeway and actually gets it if you keep your foot out of it). I don't tow much, but it's hauled Uhauls etc. effortlessly. With gas going from $1.50 to $4.00 in the interim, economy comes into play.

So, I've done anemic I4 and middling V6 but in very different vehicles. The question is can I approach the cab space/utility of the F150 with an I4 and not have to go back to checking wind directions in the morning. The kicker in this is that the published dimensions of the Dual Cab are about the same as my wife's 2010 Rav4 which is just great.

The intended use is daily driving and road trips - usually just me or me and my wife. The double cab is to give some hope of hauling more than two people without requiring a chiropractor afterwards, as well as being able to lock up luggage on trips. Bicycles in the back/kayaks on the roof...the usual clutter of having fun. I obviously drive the things to pieces so trade-in isn't a big factor but durability is.

The posts on the board that I've waded through seem to say that it's a good combo so long as you don't expect to go roaring up mountains (not a danger here in the flatlands) or pull a huge trailer. (I'm old enough not to confuse horsepower in my vehicles with sexual prowess.)

So, opinions welcome....?

Products Discussed in

To Top