1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to the audio game

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by anthonyj326, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    anthonyj326

anthonyj326 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    anthony
    Victoria, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    Nerf bars, tbs, cai, aftermarket stereo and speakers, black bull bar, hids 10k, fogs 12k, 3 inch lift 1 inch in back, painted rims black
    I dont post a lot here but I really need some guidance and advice...

Currently running in my DC:
    Kenwood KFC-X173 component speakers up front

Kenwood KFC-1664s in the rear

4 channel amp Kenwood 8405

2-JL 10w1v2 subs

1-JL amp 250/1 black one not the silver I don't know if there is a difference other than color

I am just wondering how I can boost my current system(louder and clearer ) and I'm
    Having trouble with my rear speakers they were recommended by crutchfield but they can't seem
    To handle the power from the amp they distort bad I know the amp is rated at 60x4 rms and those rears should handle that but they can't..i don't know if I did something wrong or just need to find new speakers..and third of all my subs are in a box I bought off Amazon just a basic enclosed box..would a ported box deliver louder bass..If there are threads you could point me to as well that would be great thanks!!

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    Speakerboy

Speakerboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Center Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtracab 5 lug manual
    Couple of things:
    You have a gain knob for the "A" channels and the "B" channels. Turn the B one down a little bit and make sure the HPF is on and set appropriately.

Second, you really want most of your music coming from the front, not the back. You have components up front. When you go to a concert, do you face the band or turn your back? Your ears are designed to hear from in front of you.

A ported box will be louder, but you have to make sure it is designed specifically for your sub. If not, it will not be tuned properly and ( in a nutshell) sound like poop on a stick.

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    anthonyj326

anthonyj326 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    anthony
    Victoria, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    Nerf bars, tbs, cai, aftermarket stereo and speakers, black bull bar, hids 10k, fogs 12k, 3 inch lift 1 inch in back, painted rims black
    Awesome thank you very much I will get on that ASAP!!

4. Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Might also do some research into tuning the gains using a DMM. This would be useful for tuning and balancing all 3 channels, front, back and sub.

Unless I were greatly overpowered on the sub channel, which you are not, I would start by setting the sub gains to get max power from the sub amp without clipping, then tune the front and rear channels to a power setting that balances with the sub.

Lastly, like already mentioned, the rear door speakers should be for rear fill only, as they tend to muddy up the sound stage, but some people like the 4 speaker sound in an auto environment, your call. But if you carry passengers, rear speakers help them quite a bit. I have my rear door speakers coming off the HU power and just use the fader to control how much of them I use. Normally off unless I have someone in back.

5. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    KFC-X173: frequency response: 63-24,000 Hz

80Hz is like the lowest I would go based on the advertised freq response for these speakers.

6. Jun 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Are you currently using an aftermarket head unit? If not, that would be something I would install immediately if I were you. You will notice a great improvement in sound quality. I would go with a nice Kenwood Excelon for the 5v outputs.

7. Jun 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    get another amp

8. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    Speakerboy

Speakerboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Center Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtracab 5 lug manual
    While setting your gains like that is a good idea, it is over most people's head. Most people think its a volume knob.

Products Discussed in

To Top