1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New To The "LIFT" Scene Need Some Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by boyer, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    boyer

boyer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Perry County PA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 6-Speed TRD Sport
    ARB Front Bull Guard - 1006$ UWS Diamond Plate Tool Box
    Hello, Guys. I'm new to all this forum stuff so I'll try to do my best at it.
    So I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 Extra Cab and I'm looking to put a 3.5 inch lift on it. I have been looking around and this one seemed to catch my eye.

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=549

I know there are more lift's out there and I'm open to suggestions as to which lift might be better and why. But as far as this one goes, will I need to buy any after marker shocks such as bilsteins or anything else? Any help is appreciated. Again, I'm new to the lift world/Beef up your truck world, but I'm willing to do my research and make this 100% correct on my first build, but I know there's plenty of experience here.

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    Reaper10

Reaper10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver DC 4x4 TRD OR
    Billstein 5100's all around, ToyTec coilovers up front, ToyTec 1.5" AAL in the rear with TSB leaf springs, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, XD Revolvers in Black wrapped in 265/70/17 BFG TA/KOs, AFE Pro Dry S Airfilter, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT in-dash NAVI, Devil Horns by Andres, 14 inch shorty antenna
    Welcome to Tacoma World. As a genreral rule you want to stay away from things like body lifts and spacer and block lifts. They will usually cause premature wear on other driveline and suspension components. The spacer and block style lifts can be servicable provided you don't do much off roading with your truck. There are a ton of threads on here touting the pros and cons of various lifts. Try taking a look through the suspension threads. What do you plan to do with your truck and what kind of budget are you looking at? This will help people give you better informed responses. Again, welcome to the neighborhood.

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    2.5 inch spacer lift will probably make your ride pretty stiff. Then the 1" body lift is a lot of work for little gain/reward. I would stick to the tried and true methods that are extensively talked about on this site (bilstein+aftermarket springs, coilover, etc.). You'll get pros and cons on every combo, but if you want to do things "right" the first time, I dont think a coil spacer/body lift is the way to go.

4. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For the front... all you need is a set of bilsteins (5100's). They're adjustable and you use your stock coils for up to 2.5/3"lift.

For the rear, get an Add-a-leaf.

If you want more than 3" of lift, I would recommend looking at the Procomp/Trailmaster 4 or 6" lifts.

As for the daystar kit - I've installed the front on a tacoma before (not mine).
    http://www.lieblweb.com/daystarlift.html

5. Feb 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    boyer

boyer [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Perry County PA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 6-Speed TRD Sport
    ARB Front Bull Guard - 1006$ UWS Diamond Plate Tool Box
    Wow, them Procomp lifts are close to 2k. I do like the fact that it is a 4inch lift. I do alot of off roading so I should consider something pretty heavy duty.

6. Feb 7, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    if you do alot of wheeling then you should definitly stay clear of any spacer lift, you may have to spend a bit of money but itll be worth it in the end.

Products Discussed in

To Top