1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to TW... have a couple questions about my Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by drewski82183, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    drewski82183

drewski82183 [OP] Tacoma 1st Timer

Member:
    First Name:
    Aj
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    6" Fabtech Lift, 17x10" Diamo 17 Karat's wrapped in 37x12.50 MTR's
    Im a new Tacoma Owner... A Happy one, I might ad... I used to own a 1/2 ton Chevy with 13" of lift rolling on 38" Swampers, but I wanted somethin that I could enjoy more often... So I traded it for a 1st Gen 95 Tacoma... Probably the best decision ever... My Dad had a Toyota when I was a little boy and when my sister was born he had to sell it... but I heard so many GREAT stories about him watching Power Strokes get stuck in the mud and him just going in circles around them, so I figured it was a good move to trade for it... and so far I have been extremely impressed... It has the 2.7 4 banger in it... single cab... when I got it it had already had the 6" Fabtech lift on it and had a set of 16.5x10" Weld rims on it... not bad looking at all.. but then i found the down side to 16.5" wheels is that you cant find a great mud tire for them... and the BFG AT's that were on it were bald... so I started searchin all over for someone that had a set of rims AND tires so I could just do away with the odd size... I found some... a set of Diamo 17karat's.. black and aluminum... 17x10's... the set of 4 wheels and 4 Wrangler MTR's mounted on them AND 2 almost new Pro Comp Xtreme AT's for $350 cash... couldn't pass them up, so I jumped on them... picked them up... got the back 2 mounted... they look WONDERFUL!!! A HUGE improvement over the other ones... went to mount the front's on and had an issue with clearance... thought it was the outer hub not being able to go through the middle of the rim... so i reluctantly grabbed a router and cleaned them out... didnt do a bad job... BUT still had the same issue... set the truck down and noticed the upper A-arm rubbing the tire pretty good... that sucked... So i took them off and put the front 2 16.5"s back on til i can figure out how to work around it... Im reading A LOT of good things about Spidertrax spacers and wondered if anyone had any experience with them... do they fit around the stock manual hub assembly?? and would that do the job?? im looknig for the easiest fix... the cheapest fix as well, but they sometimes arent the same... buying new wheels isnt an option... the wife would probably divorce me and end up with my new toy...

Something else Im noticing is in the tranny... its a 5 speed and goes through every gear without hesitation... clutch works well.. the problem isnt in shifting, rather its actually the way the shifter feels while its in gear... it has a lot of play... and being that most of my other standard vehicles were FWD cars, this is a new feeling to me.. I looked under the truck and didnt see any tranny linkage, so that leads me to think there must be something on the top of the tranny that I can replace to fix the play... i mean... the truck is almost 15 years old... there is probably a part in there that keeps the play down that deteriorated and can be replaced rather simply... i want to do all the repairs myself to avoid the ghastly repair charges at shops... Joining this site was the smartest thing I've done since acquiring my truck... I just hope help is on the way...

One more thing... though this one is WAY easier to deal with... I got the truck and the entire radio was gone from the truck... no brackets, no nothin... of course the first thing I did was find the wiring diagram for it and put in a new radio, but after buying the dash kit for it, found out you need the OEM bracket for it to screw to and for it all to work... anyone know where i can find one... im hoping one of y'all may have one in the garage that you would be willing to part with... it would make my truck look a lot better than it does... as soon as i can I'll post pics of it... its that BEAUTIFUL purple color...

Any help would be nice!

Thanks!

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    welcome to Tacomas...

for your wheels, sounds like you may have the wrong backspace if the sidewalls are touching the upper control arms...

to resolve that issue, you will need to get wheel spacers and if running that big a tire, make sure to check your torque on a weekly basis especially if planning to push that truck through the mud...

as for your tranny, Tacoma has a floating tranny so you will likely feel like its loose... due to the age of the truck and the tire size, might want to get the tranny checked out anyway in case there is another issue going on...

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    drewski82183

Member:
    First Name:
    Aj
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    thats what i was thinkin... the tires are HUGE, too.. 37x12.50's... as far as stressing the truck, they dont... i keep up with and pass traffic and dont shift over 3 grand.. 3500 tops... im thinkin he did somethin to the gears cause it drives pretty well... i'll have to order some spacers and go with it... im guessing they'll be able to make sure the ones I order fit around my hubs, huh? i think they should...

thanks for the help! I'll be dropping the diff, too... i looked at the axles and they look like they are at some pretty extreme angles...

4. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    You should post up some pics of your truck!

5. Oct 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    drewski82183

Member:
    First Name:
    Aj
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    I posted 2 just now... I'll have to take more once the spacers get here so it will look like a more complete truck... Trading my Chevy for this was the best decision I've made in a while..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also forgot to mention it already had a 40-series FlowMaster on it and a K&N FIPK2 COI on it... aside from the wheels and tires, its EXACTLY how it showed up at my place... I also get to order a new set of lights from Ebay cause the ones it has arent the sealed beams they are supposed to be... i belive they are 9003's... but the deflectors inside the lenses that go over the light bulbs popped off when he unloaded it from the trailer... i mean... he DID drive it off a low boy with no ramps... the front end came off without touching trailer... and the only part of the rear to hit was the reiever hitch... im very pleased with this truck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Oct 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    for the radio brackets you might wanna check ebay
    sweet looking truck dude:thumbsup:

7. Oct 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    or even a junk yard. probly cost like 3 - 20 bucks... :cool:

8. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    drewski82183

Member:
    First Name:
    Aj
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma Single Cab 4x4
    I ordered spacers last night... so HOPEFULLY by this time next week I should be rolling on all 4 rims... Im going to try and go junk-yardin this weekend... there are a few other odds and ends that i'd like to get for my truck if i can find one...

I appreciate all y'alls help... I have never been more happy with a vehicle... well... I take that one back... I would LOVE to have my very first truck back... 1982 Chevy Stepside.. beefy small block... very clean interior... a system that would rot your brain... probably the greatest truck I'll ever own... but this one is a VERY close #2... and I don't mean poop!

Products Discussed in

To Top