1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new/upgrading tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nloundag, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Nov 25, 2015 at 12:18 PM
    nloundag

nloundag [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Taco DC lond
    Newbie here, and I'm looking into new tires. I've lurked around quite a bit, but I still have some questions and am wondering if you pros could throw out a few suggestions.

Currently I am running the stock 265/65r17 tires on my 2013 double-cab long-bed. I am looking to get an all terrain type tire and am looking to get outside opinions. Shs's my everyday rig, but I am looking for a tire that can handle the winter snow and ice, the occasional mudding trip, works well for fairly light towing (atv's, drift boat, and snowmobiles mostly) doesn't get chewed up along rig roads I frequently travel (this may be impossible to actual find, the roads to my drilling locations are often covered with scoria which is notorious for chewing up tires), and can handle the hellacious rains I get stuck in more frequently than is statistically normal.

Also, I am curious as to if it is a good idea to upgrade the tire size by and inch or two? If it hinders performance I would stick with the 17", but honestly, Tacos just look better the higher they get and I don't quite have the dollars to lift her.

If anyone has suggestions of tires they love or would recommend that accommodate my driving conditions (no extremes, but certainly not all pavement) I would greatly appreciate. Although you can drop some serious dollars on tires I looking around the $200 range, if it helps.

Cheers

2. Nov 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    jshsltr

jshsltr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    +1 on the Hankooks. They are fairly inexpensive, quiet on highway, handle well in rain and snow, and wear well. Having another set put on my truck on friday. 255/75/17. Ended up paying around 600 mounted and balanced with a coupon.

nloundag[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    As Rock Lobster mentioned, you can step up one size to 265/70R17. Try to get your tires in C-load and not heavy E-load.

My new favorite all purpose tire is the KO2. (Not to be confused with the crappy KO). The KO2s are specifically formulated to resist being chewed up by coarse rock compared to their predecessor.

Pics of going +1 265/70R17s on stock height (pre-lift):
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/trd-17-forged-rock-warrior-beadlock-style-wheels-on-a-tacoma.381030/

KO2s:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-mSQDOBmh8

Edit: BTW, welcome to the forum!

nloundag[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Which Hamkook are you running? Size?

5. Dec 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM
    nloundag

nloundag [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Taco DC lond
    Thanks for everyone who replied. I wanted to give a little update. I had 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs put on today! Originally, I was looking at 265/65 tires, but for some reason they were significantly more expensive. I am going to be giving these bad boys a pretty good test in the next month and I can't wait to see how they handle. In the morning I head off for a camping trip (should cover about 300 miles of road, dirt and light mud) and then head up to the cabin in Colorado for a few weeks of skiing and snowmobiling.

Sears had the best deal for everything while I was looking around and when it was all said and done I paid $683 to have them mounted and balanced with a $35 dollar coupon they sent through email (not much but it will cover the whiskey for this weekend. If anyone wants the promo code they gave me, shoot me a message). As I went to pay I got a little "perk" that I didn't know about when I bought the tires and thought some people might want to know about it if they're also looking at tires. Surprisingly, they are running a bonus on rewards points with tire purchases. Buying tires and having them installed (?) through Sears I received something like 100,000 points which equates to $117 dollars I can spend on anything in the store. I never go to Sears, but after walking around their store during the install I could easily spend that. From my understanding you don't need to be a Sears member or have a Sears card. The points/dollar amount is linked to your phone number. Seems like a pretty good gig to me.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

6. Dec 10, 2015 at 10:58 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Please Come back after your trip with an update. I'd really like to know your thoughts on how the 1" larger diameter affects the feel of power/acceleration/shifting. I'd like to bump up to 265-75's but like the op am hesitant due to potential shifting differences.

Products Discussed in

To Top