1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

newb lightforce questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by PreRunner, May 12, 2010.

1. May 12, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    PreRunner

PreRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    thinking about getting 2 lightforce 140 lance lights to fit on my avid offroad bar. i do not yet have factory fogs. what kind of light output should i expect? are these too bright to use on the street (spot/wide/combo/dispersion)? which should i get and why? anything else to consider? i already bought some PIAA 520 ATP's but they do not fit on this light bar.

here is a pic. red dots show where light tabs are on opposite side. lights will hang below top bar (pendant). lame chrome grill already swapped for colormatched.
    [​IMG]

2. May 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    PreRunner

Member:
  3. May 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    PreRunner

Member:
  4. May 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I would personally go bigger, but I got my pair of 240's on sale for about the price of the 170's. The 240's are pretty awesome, at least for driving empty highways. I have them hooked into use with my hi beams if I want, and they are great.

After using the 240's, the 170's are kind of a let down. We have a lot of work trucks with them, and they don't seem to do well. However (a big however), they are treated very roughly and are often not aimed properly, which obviously severely affects their usability.

The place I bought my 240's from told me they were about as bright as four 170's. The plain covers are very spot-like. I have the combo covers, and even they are pretty spot-ish. I don't think you can get combo covers in the 140's, so I would suggest getting one wide cover and leaving the other for spot (unless you are only doing slower or off-hiway driving).

Lightforce isn't really a flood light for off road slow driving terrain, but they are absolutely fantastic for high speed on the highway and such (with no oncoming traffic, of course).

5. May 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    Its a matter of what you plan on doing. If you don't run at night at high-speed, 140s are a nice enhancement/filler light. Plus you can always try different fitlers too. I don't really wheel at night much but I am contemplating on adding a pair of 240s to the front bumper since they cut their prices.

Sierra Expeditions is a great vendor for them too.

Products Discussed in

To Top