1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie Questions: Towing, Gas mileage, etc

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vwmg, May 8, 2010.

1. May 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    vwmg

vwmg [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the world of Tacoma's so please be patient. I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Tacoma Access Cab, 4X4, 3.4 V6, automatic, and I have a couple of questions.

1) Would this truck be able to tow a 3000 lbs. open single axle trailer with electric brakes with about 500 lbs of gear in the bed? (The trailer is actually about 1000 lbs. and a 2000 lbs race car.)

I would be towing this weight about 4-5 times a year for a distance of about 300-400 miles.

I'm aware that Toyota states that these trucks have a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. but I'm a little skeptical.

2) Would the truck require any modifications to tow? Example, transcooler, engine cooler, rear suspension up-grade?

3) What type of gas mileage should I expect in the city/highway. How about when towing with the weight above, at about 65 mph?

4) How difficult is this truck to work on? Are things easily accessable? I consider myself a pretty good mechanic.

5) What are the weak points on this truck?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Jay

2. May 12, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Welcome to TW. If you search you'll find a lot of that information. To answer your first question, you will be fine if you have a hitch rated for 5000 pounds. Don't be 'skeptical' about what your truck can do.

3. May 12, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    5.0 Hatch

5.0 Hatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Please see above

Products Discussed in

To Top