1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Next mod: New suspension?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by thenrie, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Sep 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Ok, so now I have a new Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system and an AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake system on my truck. The rear springs appear to be sagging a bit, which has been the case on every Tacoma I have looked at over 6-7 years old. So, my next mod will probably be new rear leaf springs.

Any recommendations on brand? What about lift? I was sort of thinking about a 3" lift. I recently found out my pickup has 4.30 gears, so I am thinking about going from 31X10.50 tires to 33 inchers at my next change. It might actually improve my highway gas mileage, since my pickup is running at 2500 rpm at 65 mph now. With 33s I might get that down to 2200 or so at 65. I have read a 3" lift will clear the 33s. Are there any bad side-effects that come with a 3" lift? How about on the front suspension?

2. Sep 27, 2007 at 10:45 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    i cant tell from your pic there but it looks like you have ADD front end ( no manual hubs) they dont recomend more than a 3" lift... i have had plenty of them and can tell you almost all the ones on the market work well..or else they would be getting sued day and night.... my recomendation would be this... if money is no object the race runner or fabtech coil overs go from 0-3.4" of lift and ride nice but like I said before keep it below 3" for add trucks...add the diff lowering kits avail on ebay and your good up front

on a budget? then I'd go with the ez lift system from ebay...make sure to get the diff drop...another good setup that can be had cheap is the daystar 2.5" spacers...only thing with them is you have to take the struts apart...with ez lift there is no need... i had 2.5" suspension and 3" body lift on one taco with 35's no prob...another option would be bushwacker cut out flares... you can get away with 33's with 0-1" lift but i dont really like cutting the fenders on my taco...

my least favorite kits.... revtek...hated it sold it reinstalled the old daystar (i was looking for extra .5" of lift) this kit gives you an aluminum spacer to put in your coil...mine squeked all the time and it rode rougher

alot of guys like toy tec...i dont..installed this on one taco and put up with it till coil overs were affordable... little harder to install then most of the other kits

pro comp spacers...these have a 3 wing look to them and i have seen the ears bend on them

rear lift? alot of people go with add a leafs... they ride kinda rough but they are ok ... you can go with a simple block but you may get axle wrap(2" blcok isnt bad)...or my fav is daystar shackles for the rear...super heavy duty come with poly bushings and gigantic greasable bolts...expect 2.5" lift from any of these except the block obviously whatever size block = lift height

i also took a set of ford granada springs and used them all with just my tacoma main leaf and the truck sat level with 2.5 daystar front lift and it rode better than stock (truck was not used for towing or springs may have been alittle lightly sprung)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 28, 2007 at 5:17 AM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Great info again! Thanks. The owner of Daystar, Dick Goodman, is a close friend of my dad. Great guy. I'll probably go with your recommendations re Daystar.

4. Sep 29, 2007 at 9:09 PM
    scard

scard Active Member

Member:
    El Centro, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Total Chaos UCA's with Donahue Racing Coilovers
    Magnaflow Exhaust, Total Chaos Upper Control Arms with Donahue Racing Coilovers, Bilstien Shocks in the rear.

Products Discussed in

To Top