1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NJ just stopped mechanical inspections today

Discussion in 'North East' started by misc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    IIRC that's the same thing here - I think they rely upon the manufacturer's being responsible for the first 5 years. But then again, what the hell do I know! :eek: Some may think that was negotiated that with the auto manufactures.

2. Aug 5, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Its about fucking time they stopped the BS car inspections, the inspection process here is a total waste of time. One very small step towards freedom. :thumbsup:

3. Aug 5, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    TacomaNJ

TacomaNJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD SR5 Tacoma Ext.Cab
    ^^ That is one interesting concept of freedom were marching towards....

You know, if you really hate inspections you are free to choose not to drive.

4. Aug 5, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I am free not to drive really.:der:

5. Aug 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    upflying

upflying Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Antioch
    Ca has no mechanical inspections. I wish I could say the same about smog checks.

6. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
  7. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

i see the sarcasm lol no need for sarcasm font on this one. Im all for uncle sam not sticking his nose in my business. Im also for uncle sam crushing the asshole who drives in the rain with bald ass tires.

I maintain my own vehicles. While inspections are a pain in the ass and take 20 minutes out of my day, i have yet to fail one. so even though its manditory in NY it doesnt bother me. Ive had friends all bummed because their pos 85 civic failed because they had a hole rusted in the gas tank and brake pads that were metal on metal. alot of People arent responsible enough to maintain their own vehicles. yes i think its stupid for the rest of us to pay the price.

but some people are just clueless. and without inspections will never now theres anything wrong with there car. I dont think CA should worry as much about inspections as ny. A car here will last years without too much maintenance and parts wont be ok one year and completely rusted out the next year. In the N/E, between salt and extreme weather i think it should be mandatory there.

8. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I guess you'll be moving soon.

9. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    what do you mean?

10. Aug 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    You certainly would follow your heart, right?

or

You're going to stay in a place that's that messed up?!

Germany may be your best bet but they also allow limitless speed on the autobahn so just stay off that road and you will be okay.

11. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    You make some good points, but the weather is not the only factor causing vehicles to become unsafe. In fact, I doubt that it matters much at all. Any vehicle can fall into disrepair, no matter how it looks, or whether it has rust on it or not. Most people will never crawl under their vehicles to check it out and many use quick oil changes which may not check the safety systems of the vehicle.

12. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    i live here in cali now. I lived in ny my whole life prior to living here.

this isnt about gov control or polotics for me its about safety. i like the fact it keeps alot (i know not everybody follows the law) of cars that shouldnt be on the road, off the road. its not a "big brothers taking over the world, man" mentality for me.

To me its the same as a drivers lisence test. Do you think they should get rid of drivers testing? Why should the gov. control whos allowed to drive or not? You dont think the gov. should control what cars can be on the road...

13. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just out of curiosity... Big Bear? What government issued checks are you receiving right now?

You know that beast of burden can't just print money. We are in a time that needs some belt tightening and I applaud this stuff.

I drive everyday and all the accidents I've see since this post involve new cars.

I have a home in BB and I think your concern might be better served getting those errant tweekers off the roads of Big Bear!!!

14. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock

First off weve met several times and until now i had alot of respect for you. i dont mean any of this as a personal attack to you. im just stating my opinion. no need to think im on gov. assistance... Nice of you to look down on people from your high horse.

Once again this thread is about inspections in New Jersey and what people think from a safety prospective... And my opinion is that the roads in jersey will be less safe without inspections.

15. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    My apologies but I do feel strong about personal responsibilities and how I don't think that legislating someone looking over ones shoulder improves the life here on earth. I just have a hard time thinking that we need some third party to do our work for us. If I had a neighbor that had bald tires, I would find a way to help him - that is just me. I just don't all the hubbub about having some government agency do the work of the community. That is just my rant. Instead when I hear people preaching about needing more government intervention - I am strongly apposed since, in my opinion, it washes away the responsibilty of all those in the community. I live in a community that if someone broke in to my home, they would have to worry about the neighbors (some of whom are police) more than the police. I like that. If my passions spilled on to your morning newspaper, I am sorry.

And you may be right. The roads may be less safe. They may turn out to be just as safe. Time will tell. I personally would rather buy a member of my community a set of tires than to send a check for the same amount to an inefficient system in hopes that it will help someone.

In the last week, I have purchased tires for 2 people on this board not knowing if I will see a penny back. If I don't, I am good with that too.

One guy who has been unemployed for over a year - and I've known him for all of about 3 small conversations.

Maybe I say these things cause I am selfish - I like when I can help people in my community.

16. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    This is why i can respect you. I see you are a good guy. I too am all about helping people. but in NY things are different. There are so few opprotunities in ny and people, even if they want to be cant afford to be responsible. Or little old ladies that dont have the slightest idea whats going on with their vehicle. In ny ive seen 2005+ cars with bad ball joints, wheel bearing, etc. I agree people should take responsibility and they dont. I dont blame the government i blame the people. In ny the reason they started the inspection was because accidents were on the rise due to mechanical failures.

Sounds like your in a good community, I lived in san burn for a while... not quite as good of a community. i saw so many accidents driving on the 91 to and from san burn. Alot were newer cars but many were crappy old cars too. youll never get rid of the aholes in the world or the bad drivers but having the mechanic look at the brakes and susp. components when doing the smog will at least eliminate one variable by making sure the car is fit to be on the road.

17. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Thank you for helping from keeping my head too far up my ass! :eek:

18. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    misc

misc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    It isn't the people that are proactive that I am worried about. I'm sure many of the people posting in this thread do a fine job of policing their vehicles for issues that are unsafe and I would trust myself with the same responsibility.

What I am worried about is leaving my safety in the hands of the people who do stupid shit like: draining their transmission fluid instead of the oil from their trucks, people who don't know how to change a flat tire, people who brutalize lift installations or stack lifts unsafely, people who drive 120 on the highway and think it's cool, people who overload their trucks by tons stressing all their suspension to the breaking point, people who load 20' of wood in the bed of their truck and think "its now a man" or some crap.

I could go on all day about the posts I have seen in here - and the people in here have the means to get the information to do it right + 40,000 people to ask help from so I actually consider the TW community much more informed then the public.

So for some reason I do not want my and my families safety in the public's hands.

I guess no one is for coast guard inspections either :D

19. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    My apologizes to anther jack but...

Call me a dick, but I am of the age that I care less about someone liking me for the sake of liking me. When I pass, I hope I have made an impact that is at least 51% positive, offsetting my caustic nature.

I am a Nazi when it comes to litter. I pick up crap all the time. I know I have affected others that I wheel, hike, run, backpack and mountain bike with.

I call people out on litter everyday. It ranges from "I guess they don't put ashtrays in those pieces of shit." to throwing lit cigarettes back into the cars they came from, to asking people, "What could I do to positively influence people to stop them from littering?" I know people think I am crazy - I am okay with that.

I see guys that I wheel with, throw something out, look at me and pick it back up. I also pick up after my friends (yesterday it was mango on the trail as to leave no trace).

Roland was kind enough to stick with me through my rant - I will stick with people as I attempt to influence them with the idea that litter sucks. I am passionate about how we can have "Heaven on Earth" if we all deal with our challenges and influence others that we can have a positive affect on.

If you see someone with bald tires - I ask you, what can you do to positively influence the situation?

thanks

20. Aug 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    misc

misc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dick :D just kidding :)

I do the same with litter - pisses me off big time - check out the Wharton State Park thread I started - it is #1 of my top 10 rules http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/80823-wharton-state-forest-nj.html#post1538347

Yes, I was at a party Saturday and noticed my friends Honda element and my other friends Nissan 350Z both had bald tires on them. I grabbed them walked them over to their cars and told them to look at them. They said they had plenty of tread left and that they couldn't afford new tires. The 350Z guy told me he was waiting for new rims and he would get tires then then he told me "I better drive slow as hell on the way home cause of the rain". This is what I'm afraid of.

Last Monday DdayIsNear stopped by my house to say what's up and he was driving his girls Ford Escape. Upon seeing her tires I immediately told him he needed two new ones and an alignment - here is the thread of us joking about it http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/north-east/41121-nj-tacos-109.html#post2025345

Products Discussed in

To Top