1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No Airbags with New Seats

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Badback, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    Badback

Badback [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X2
    recarro seats
    I replaced the stock bench seat with Recaro bucket seats and now the airbags - drivers and passengers - will not work (warning lights on) and the seatbelt chime does not work. I have a bad back and car salesman said it was OK to replace the bench seat with aftermarket and all that was necessary was to have the service dept “reset” something and the airbags would work. The service dept now said none of airbags will work unless the stock bench seat is replaced. I knew that I would loose the airbags that are sewn into the bench seat, but I don’t care. How can I get the rest of the airbags to work?

Badback and frustrated: 2009 Tacoma, standard cab, 4x2, 60 miles on odometer.

2. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd say you need to dig into the FSM and find out about hte airbag system. Asking the sales man was the wrong thing to do-
    They know a little bit about every car on the lot...Not NEARLY enuf to give you good info regarding a change like that. I'm guessing that disconnecting the airbags from the seats put the airbag system in fail safe- so nothing will fire until the situation is fixed.

You might need to look into getting some bucket seats from Toyota (like the sport seats or whatever) that have the airbags built in as well.

3. Apr 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    The reason the warning lamps light up is because you removed / disconnected the sensors in or attached to the stock seat.

The 2005+ Tacoma bench seat setup has a seat position sensor on the driver side and an occupant classification sensor on the passenger side (embedded within the bench seat itself).

Products Discussed in

To Top