1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No electrical: speedo/head display/starter all dead

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by bigmooze, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:07 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    My neighbour has a Polaris ATV. I took it for a ride last weekend and it was fine, but he went to put it away some hours later and said there was no electrical power. The starter, head display and lights were all dead.

I just read that some models have resettable circuit breakers instead of fuses. Does that apply to all models? Also, is there something else I should be checking for when I take a look today?

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would check the battery.

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    He said he checked that... that's the first thing I would have checked though. Have to poke around and see what's what. Thanks for replying.

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Had a look at it. battery is fine and the starter is OK. I jumped around the ignition switch, applyin battery +ve to the start relay and away she cranked. Engine never started though, only cranked.

The issue might lie with the connections between the battery and everything else - head display, ignition, lights etc. I didn't see a fuse box or any self-resetting circuit breakers so I called it a day.

If anyone has any more suggestions I would appreciate the help.

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Maybe bypass the kill switch if so equipped. Could be the start switch as well.

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    dtr_duck

dtr_duck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    Haughton ,LA
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    i know on some atvs there are connections that can git corroded while rideing in mud and water but i am not sure on a polarise i do know of a forum that specializes in atv www.highlifter.com/forums look in the polaris section and do a search on it there is a lot of valuable info about all atvs there i have went there severale times with mine

7. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    bigmooze

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    My other neighbour took a look and it turned out to be a bad ground.

To Top