1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"No haggle" question (Long)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gatlin, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    Gatlin

Gatlin [OP] Member

Member:
    Smoky Mountains
    Vehicle:
    12 DC 4X4 TRD Sport Barcelona Red
    I've been lurking around this great site for many months now soaking up a bunch of knowledge and decided to join today and ask my first question. I've been a die hard Ford man all my long life and recently gave my F-150 Lariat 4X4 to my grandson who just started driving and am currently in a 1990 Mazda B2200 my father bought new and I got when he recently passed away. I need a new 4X that I feel comfortable jumping in heading out wherever we want to go but is small enough that I can still pass oncoming traffic on these mountain roads without swapping mirrors. After much deliberation I've decided the Tacoma is the way to go.

I've settled on a 2012 double cab TRD sport with towing package and day time running lights which is pretty much a standard package around here. I have bought many a vehicle in my life so I am familiar with all the games. I know all about KBB, Edmonds, TrueCar, fleet managers, internet sales, etc. but no haggle is a new one to me. I've used the search feature and read every thread on the site concerning this but what I would like to know is - how serious is the "no haggle" price. For those who have bought this way, did you attempt to negotiate or have the dealer throw in an accessory or something? Half the fun to me is working these guys over to get the best deal I can but looking at the posted price on the closest no haggle dealer to me, he's showing prices lower than what most folks are writing they paid for their trucks lately. For instance, the above mentioned Tacoma is shown on Jim Barkley's "No Haggle" site in Asheville, NC with a MSRP of $32,479 selling for $30,129, not including taxes or tag but everything else. At this time I know I'm not eligible for any type rebate but I sure don't want to leave a dollar laying on the table. Any information from the knowledgeable folks on this site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the informative reading over the past months and helping me make up my mind!

2. Feb 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    diddy5584

diddy5584 Member

Member:
    Kansas City MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL LB 4X4
    I bought mine no haggle and got a great deal on it no other truck within 600 miles came close. However mine was used with 125000 on it, but the closest was one that was 2 wd and had 110 for 5 k more. The only thing I could haggle on was my trade and they gave me 3k for a car with no reverse and 100k on it. So i have had good luck with it. Btw congrats on purchasing the greatest truck on the road. I have created a monster in my neighborhood. There are now 7 Tacomas in my neighborhood of 25 houses. Pretty good odds...:cool:

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    When I'm buying new and not in a hurry, I get written or e-mailed quotes from several dealers and let them know that I am shopping price. There is certainly nothing wrong with telling them that you will be using their price to obtain a better price somewhere else, and they may only get one chance at making you a customer. I am referring to quotes on identical vehicles that are obtainable from most dealerships.

You may also want to try your hand at competitive shopping on the Internet. This can literally save you thousands, and the dealers know it. You may have to travel to pick up the vehicle, but the price difference may make it worthwhile. I have had success with local dealers matching the best distant price I obtained. I like buying local if possible, and that's justifies giving the local guy a final chance to make me a customer.

If they see that you are a serious buyer and not afraid to shop around for the best price, you should be able to haggle even a "no haggle" price. I use my real name and address when I'm shopping. I want the dealer to know I am serious and I tell them to call me all they want, as long as they are working to sell me the vehicle I want at the price I am willing to pay. My target price is usually $300-$500 over invoice for a readily available current model vehicle.

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Offer an amount that you are comfortable with for the truck. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top