1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

no idea what i'm doing... quick question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rogerkamp8817, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    rogerkamp8817

rogerkamp8817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD Off-Road 4x4, AC, Superwhite
    i purchased a new deck (alpine 9887) and i'm trying to install it myself. i have the wiring harness and the dash kit, but i have never done a radio install before.

do i simply match up the colors of the wires? i got the wiring harness from best buy and its comes with 2 harnesses. it looks like there's a separate harness for the rear speakers.

next question... can i buy a nice quality set of speakers for my doors and power these 2 speakers using the the leads from both the front and rear speakers, leaving my rear speakers disconnected? does this make sense? what's the most secure way of connecting the wires? any tips?

i am reading the instructions on how to take the factory radio out from taco tunes and they seem pretty simple.

thanks guys!

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Yea, you pretty much color match, watch out for the orange wires, you may have one with a white stripe, solder and heat shrink is the best way or you can twist together and use end crimps. Not sure about your speaker question, you don't put power to the speakers just a signal from head unit and those harnesses you have.

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Yes match the colors. now when you pull your factory head unit out there will be four conecters. Your only going to use two. Now you can leave the rear un hooked if you want. Front door speakers are 6x9 and your going to need an speaker install kit. that includes a bracket. Mr.Marv or ********* has what your looking for there. Its easy. Be carefull takeing the door pannels off and pulling out the head unit. There are these lil plastic clips there slippery lil things. They break easy. Good luck any other questions just ask.

4. Apr 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Two answer your question about bridging the front and rear channels of the headunit to run the front speakers....I'd advise against doing it. You'll likely fry something. No point really either so there isn't reason to try.

5. Apr 29, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Great unit by the way. The 9887 has features you could only dream of. Two way active front stage with bandpass crossovers, level matching and full time alignment.

I had one. Great unit.

6. Apr 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    rogerkamp8817

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i got it installed! trickiest part was getting the hazard button piece out of the old unit. everything works perfectly. the factory sub also remained working, which really surprised me.

any one know what wires i can cut/splice in the alpine ipod cable to get it to charge my iphone 3g while its connected? i willing to be there's a way to do that but i just don't know how.

7. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
  8. Apr 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    rogerkamp8817

Member:
    Vehicle:
    perfect. that's what i'm looking for. however, i wonder if we can figure a way out to not use that. the new iphones uses 5v to charge, instead of 12v. if we can resplice the 12v wire to the new 5v connector with resistors, we might be able to do this much cheaper and will not have to use that clumsy adapter. google is telling me this can't be done but i'll keep digging.

Products Discussed in

To Top