1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NoBo 10.5 without brake controller?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by dziner, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Oct 26, 2018 at 3:46 AM
    dziner

dziner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100 (front) | OME 885 springs | Bilstein 5160 (rear) | OME Dakar medium leafpack | JBA UCA | Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 R16 | ARE Z-Series topper | Renogy 100W solar panel | SnoMaster TR42 fridge | sleeping platform | Mobtown sliders | Custom Car Grills grill insert
    I’m heading out to Ohio tomorrow to pickup a Forest River No Boundaries 10.5. I haven’t had time to purchase a brake controller. Will I be ok towing this roughly 300 miles from Ohio back to Pennsylvania where I plan to park it? I’m driving a 2014 TRD Offroad DCSB with tow package. I have a topper and camping gear in the back of the truck, but I can take most of that out for the weekend.

Hitch weight: 210 lbs.
    UVW: 1570 lbs.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/no-boundaries

2. Oct 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Ck1010

Ck1010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra TRD Off-Road
    Absolutely fine.

Side question: I live in Ohio and am looking at some Forrest River TT’s. What dealer are you using and how has your experience been with them?

Mtn Mike and dziner[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    dziner

dziner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100 (front) | OME 885 springs | Bilstein 5160 (rear) | OME Dakar medium leafpack | JBA UCA | Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 R16 | ARE Z-Series topper | Renogy 100W solar panel | SnoMaster TR42 fridge | sleeping platform | Mobtown sliders | Custom Car Grills grill insert
    They said they can install a brake controller tomorrow for $209. I’m thinking that’s not a bad price for some insurance and gets that out of the way.

I’m using Avalon RV in Ohio. The sales person has been not so helpful. Their finance guy has been good though. My credit union has been a pain in the butt too. I was looking at a NoBo 10.5 in CT and those people were insanely helpful. Answering emails late at night and taking phone calls on their day off.

4. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Good idea.

dziner[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    DanRN

DanRN Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    No problem. I tow about 2500lbs without a controller and 33in tires. Stops perfect.

dziner[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 26, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I would wait and buy your own controller and place it where you want. Prodigy P2 and the plug and play harness can be found for 130 or less on Amazon. And the install is 5 minutes if you have the plug handy next to the left vertical door sill (sometimes it's hidden a bit in the taped up harness).

I've heard of dealers just slapping a cheap controller in a horrible location. I'd rather find exactly what I want and put it exactly where I want it.

Heck, if you can find a controller and compatible plug and play harness, you could do it in the parking lot with a phillips screwdriver.

medic2230 and Mtn Mike like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top