1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

non-bluetooth phonecalls

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Witzner, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Dec 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    Witzner

Witzner [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I've been looking into aftermarket stereos, such as the Pioneer 1400dvd. One of the features I want is hands-free phone capabilities, however I don't necessarily want or need the bluetooth (wireless connection) feature.

Many units such as the 1400dvd feature iPhone control through a usb connection. The 1400 specifically has a microphone that you can buy with it (at crutchfield), even though it's not bluetooth capable.

My question is, can I make calls through the headunit, and talk hands-free with a microphone over the truck's sound system, without a bluetooth capable unit? I would always have my iPhone connected via the usb anyways as I want to listen to the music and podcasts on the phone. I didn't know if the bluetooth referred only to the wireless connection, or to the phone call ability as a whole.

If anyone has the pioneer 1400dvd or a similar non-bluetooth model and can comment, that's the one I'm mostly looking at.

Thanks

2. Dec 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Your question is a little confusing but I'll share my experience and hopefully it will help.

My Eclipse 726e has Bluetooth and also a USB connection for my iPhone. I typically have it plugged in via USB so I can play music and search through tracks and such on the headunit screen. Even when it's connected via USB all phone calls still go through Bluetooth to my knowledge.

So if you're connected to USB and listening to music and your phone rings you simply hit the answer button on the screen and you talk through the supplied microphone and the sound comes out of the stereo speakers. If you're in the truck and you DON'T want to be on Bluetooth you just pickup the phone and select sources on the call screen and then switch from the headunit to the iPhone as the source. Simple as that.

So in short, you do need Bluetooth for the handsfree calling feature. Just set your phone to automatically connect and you'll be good.

3. Dec 26, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    Witzner

Witzner [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok, I was hoping I could do hands-free phonecalls without buying a bluetooth HU, as long as I was connected via usb. Guess I'll look at BT HUs.

4. Dec 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Witzner

Witzner [OP] Member

Member:
    One more Q: Will I need the pioneer special AV cable to control the iPhone through the HU and select songs and such, or is that only for if I want to play video from my phone onto the HU?

5. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Most importantly....which iPhone do you have?

And how much money are you looking to spend? Gimme a range...

Products Discussed in

To Top