1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-ethanol vs premium

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by hazard2600, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Jun 10, 2024 at 5:15 AM
    hazard2600

hazard2600 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Watertown, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 White 4x4 SR5 TRD Sport LBDC V6
    3" ProComp sus lift 2" Roger Brown body lift 33" BFGs ko2s 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers Custom rock sliders Seat covers USB ports OBD2 computer monitor
    Hey guys I’ll be adding a pro charger to my ‘09 v6 soon and wanted to know if there was a preference on the above for the best performance or preferred fuel.

cheers!

2. Jun 11, 2024 at 6:49 AM
    lavrishevo

lavrishevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Trail Edition
    ethanol boost the octane, usually you want as much as you can get in forced induction applications… within reason of course. Too much octane actually hurts performance. For instance, if you mix 30% e85 with 93 you get about 96 - 97 octane. Cheap race fuel. Yes, e85 is less dense and it takes more of it to make power, but it also cleans injectors and burns cooler than regular fuel. I run e25 in my OTT performance tuned Tacoma. This ensures maximum timing advance / power. It’s important to log and see how the engine is performing when tuned. I would work with your tuner to dial this in. You should NOT exceed about 35% - 45% e85 in my experience. This can cause the fuel pump the “crash” and run lean.

Highly recommend OTT if you are looking for a shop. Great company and customer service. Octane trumps ethanol content, within reason. For instance, I can get better fuel economy cruising with 25% ethanol vs 10% because of timing advance and efficiency.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top