1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

non-JBL to JBL Conversion Harness

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by billyjoe, Jan 21, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    X2-finding the parts cheap is half the fun.

I read that you are not interested in adding the XM or bluetooth but I don't think you should write that off completely yet. If you expand your search across multiple models of toyota you can just about find anything. Most of the toyota systems use the same connectors and components. For instance, the bluetooth phone buttons for the tacoma can be found in camrys, 4runner, etc. I would stick to getting the JBL system working in your truck first but if you are anything like me you won't be satisfied for long. Especially were most of the research has been done and you have people willing to walk you through it. One Question though, is the system you are buying out of a 09+ Tacoma? I ask because toyota added a lot more capabilities (xm, Bluetooth, MP3 readability) in 2009. I probably wouldn't consider buying anything pre 2009 unless it was dirt cheap.

Good Luck!

Side note for anyone reading this in the Salt Lake area-I found this sweet sale of an entire JBL system out of a 2011 Tacoma.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=19595664&cat=&lpid=&search=tacoma jbl

Silver05Tacoma likes this.
  2. May 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe [OP] Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    BTW, to save on wire, I separated the Amp from the Sub. Only 4 wires for the sub need to make the trip all the way to the rear. I mounted the Amp in a cavity inside the dash just right of the glove compartment & just above the left kickplate. To fit, I trimmed off the mounting "ears" of the Amp such that I was left with a square. I slid the Amp into place and it sat perfectly on a small plastic "shelf". I secured it (heatsink up) with one-side-sticky foam to dampen vibration - worked perfectly! I'll be providing pics soon...

3. May 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    mrw3685

mrw3685 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX by way of KS
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s all around, set at .85, Allpro Expedition Leaf Pack, Procomp 7036 17x9, w/Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17, Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines, Red-Line Hood lift, Relocated Trailer Connection, Trimmed Front Fender.
    Nice! Thanks for the advice. You're right, I'm not completely against XM and Bluetooth but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the install as we speak. I got what I consider a GREAT deal on a 2011 JBL complete package minus the plastic cover...and then unfortunately, the connections. I'm currently researching what harness' in othe vehicle have the same wiring, and whether or not it's possibly to just buy the "R1-A Connector" for example and then wire the connector myself? You can buy replacement wire from toyota with little metal tips, but they're like $5 per wire! Seems like I could make that myself, somehow. Really, the only reason I'm doing this is I wanted a little better sound system, prefered to keep it stock, plus I'm only sitting at $125 spent, and that's pretty inexpensive to me. Hopefully I can keep the cost down for the wiring stuff, and the ensuing headache.

4. May 2, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    FWIW, I researched alot of the wiring info for my JBL system from other models. It seems Toyota is pretty standard for labeling across the board. There just seems to be a large lack of information for JBL's in Tacomas.

5. May 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM
    mrw3685

mrw3685 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX by way of KS
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s all around, set at .85, Allpro Expedition Leaf Pack, Procomp 7036 17x9, w/Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70/17, Extended Steel Braided Brake Lines, Red-Line Hood lift, Relocated Trailer Connection, Trimmed Front Fender.
    I need to figure out what size the little "terminals" on the ends of the wire are on the OEM wires? I have found a website called easternbeaver.com that you can buy them in bulk. I could buy the stock plastic connector housings for all the ones I'd need and then just buy wire and the correct size "terminals", build each connector up per the wiring diagrams, and essentially make my own OEM wiring harness. I think I could do it, I can solder and what not, and I'm assuming the plastic connectors are some sort of "snap together" once all the wires are inserted? I'm just thinking out loud.

6. May 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    The connectors are solid. You snap the pins into place....they have tabs that allow it to go in and not release. You can however release them with a tiny screwdriver...and I do mean tiny. Off the top of my head the pins reminded me a lot of molex style retainer...however the pins aren't around like that.

Just go to Walmart and buy a connector or two and repin them accordingly. If the colors are of concern....use heat shrink to recolor the wires.

No soldering required....very simple task.

7. May 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. May 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I've looked at all the usual sources & was never able to find exact matches for Toyota Terminals. "rcbs204" also went this route for his "Illuminated 4WD Switch" Mod. He found some from DigiKey (I believe) that were close but they don't fit as tightly as OEM terminal.

This is why I opted to buy a late model Toyota Wiring harness hoping that it would contain most of the Terminals/Wires I needed. As it turned out, the Yaris harness had ALL that I needed (the Metra Adapters came with their own connector housings & terminals/wires). I really think that's your best bet (not necessarily a Yaris harness, but any late model Toyota harness). Then, as I mentioned previously, you can remove the Terminal/Wires from the connector housings that they come in then insert them into the connector housings that you purchase. I simply cut off the wire at about 3-4", then attached my own wire for my custom harness.

Below are two supplemental MSWord docs I compiled that include all the OEM drawings, part #s & dimensions for the connector housings and corresponding Terminal/Wires:

credit goes to Brian (fbconvert) for the 4Runner Mic schematic

Attached Files:

9. May 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    WIZKID

WIZKID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Cool.

I have the JBL Sub + Enclosures for sale if anyone is interested in following the footsteps!

10. Sep 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    dibble9012

dibble9012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the information. I'm taking it one more step and adding Entune. See that thread here

Eventually I'll do a full write-up and post that. Right now all I've posted is the research.

11. Dec 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    rockguitarpower

rockguitarpower New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    toyota rav4 limited 2010
    Billyjoe,
    Awesome thread! Thanks for all your work and dilligence...

Got a question for you. Here's where I'm at:

I recently bought a 2010 rav4 limited with the jbl sound system and stock head unit.

I'm upgrading my head unit to this: Pioneer AVH-P4400BH
    This unit has a wired microphone that plugs into the back with a 1/8" male plug.

What I want to try and achieve is to use the microphone that is already in the ceiling of the car instead of using the aftermarket mic that i will have to find a place to put by the dash.

Thanks to your wiring diagram, I now know which harness is for the mic. Question is, do you know how I can easily tap into those wires and create a harness or something that would be able to plug into the back of the new head unit so it can work with the car mic, instead of the one it came with?

Mike

12. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    lopez62566

lopez62566 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam Lopez
    Houston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 trd off road prerunner
    None
    Thanks Billyjoe, i have made the harness for my 05 non jbl tacoma out of salvage yard parts and everthing is working on the bench.I followed the diagrams instructions posted here thanks for sharing all that information cant wait to put it in the truck.:cheers:

Thanks

13. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    dibble9012

dibble9012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where did you find the "Radio #2" fused wire? I know the fuse itself is in the engine compartment. I looked over the wiring diagram from Toyota and traced the wire everywhere but couldn't find it on my truck. Is the wire not there, i.e. I have to open up the engine compartment fuse box and solder a wire to the terminal at that fuse?

14. Jan 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    lopez62566

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam Lopez
    Houston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    None
    I have not installed it in my truck,i still have it on the garage table wired to power supply,have not got that far.

15. Feb 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    lopez62566

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam Lopez
    Houston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    None
    Ok got the week end off and had time to installed my jbl radio in the truck, the sound is way better than the none jbl unit.Even though i upgraded the stock speakers to the factory jbl speakers i like the sound of it, very happy.i will upgrade the speakers soon and see if it improves any more.

Thanks tw members :bowdown:

16. Feb 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Excerpt from original post:

...additional wiring required:
    - 12VDC, 30A, fused circuit to power the amp (1 wire)

So, the easiest solution is to simply add a fused wire (30A, 12awg) directly from your Battery to the Amp. If you're into the "OEM-look", you can modify the engine fusebox instead.

17. May 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    Balba24

Balba24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Braden
    Vehicle:
    05 trd OR DCSB
    3" lift/ leveling kit
    Reviving this thread, would I be able to take a sub and amp from
    A 06jbl system and put it into my non jbl 05 Tacoma? I switched my head unit to a non jbl black face from an 08/07 tacoma. Thanks in advance guys. The guy is giving away his sub and amp for free

18. Oct 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Deanschimmel

Deanschimmel New Member

Member:
    Billy Joe,
    I know it been a while sense you've posted this. First off, thank you. It has been very helpful. I am currently working on converting a 2014 Tacoma non-jbl access cab to have a 2015 jbl navigator. I could really use some help with the wiring harness to the jbl amp. I don't want any additional speakers or sub just want to be able to control the volume on the two speakers and two tweeters in the front.

19. Mar 22, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    protivakid

protivakid Member

Member:
    Did you run it right to the Radio2 fuse in the engine box? If so was there an existing wire at that spot leading anywhere?

20. Mar 7, 2019 at 3:41 AM
    the macf

the macf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Daily Driver - 09 RCLB Barcelona Red base, Sold - 08 BSP X-Runner TRD SC 332rwhp
    Were you able to figure out the part number for the wiring harness that goes from the back of the clock spring to the head unit? I have an 09 base and am trying to add steering wheel controls.

Products Discussed in

To Top