1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-OEM Fog Light Install, On Anytime

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gsm, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Sep 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    gsm

gsm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Saving a buck is always good! Let us know how the install went.

2. Sep 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Piece of cake, thanks to the info in this thread. For my installation, I tied pins 2 & 3 together on the fog light switch, because I wanted the switch to be illuminated when the fog lights are on. I only pulled one wire (from the relay coil) from under the hood into the cab, so I wired the switch like this:

Pin 4 : +12V (on with accessory power from fuse box)
    Pin 3+2: Relay coil
    Pin 1 : Ground (10mm bolt, lower left corner of fuse box)

3. Jan 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    seattlesurf

seattlesurf New Member

Member:
    North Cackalackey
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Metallic Grey
    anyone know the exact diameter of the oem fogs?

4. Oct 11, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Help me, I installed my fog light and it worked great the first time. But then it stopped working. So I started looking to see what went wrong. One of the wire connected to the switch came loose. It is wire #4 Out to relay (parking lamp out) from the link in first post.

I disconnected all the wires and reconnect everything but it does not work at all. Any idea what could be wrong if wire #4 came loose while the lights were on? After reconnecting everything, I could here a "click" everytime I pressed on/off the fog light switch. Could the switch become fried? Could the relay be fried as well? How do I go about fixing this.

I really like the fog because I think it helped me see better at night (could be psychological thing). But in any case, I already paid for the setup and I don't want to just give up on this yet.

TIA

5. Oct 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    gsm, I like the project box. The next time I can get to Radio Shack I'll pick up a couple of those.

6. Oct 11, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Hearing a click tells me the relay is being turned on with the switch. So maybe you've lost power (blown fuse, loose wire) going to your lights or the light bulbs have blown. Just some things to look at.

7. Oct 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Hard to say with wiring and not being there. Before I did any hard digging into the system I'd first check all fuses concerned. If good, then I'd take my 12 volt tester (or a volt meter) and check all areas from the battery/relay/lights and from the source to the relay to ensure pwr is getting where it needs to be. After this, or if no light tester or volt meter available I would trouble shoot the system backwards:

1. Check to see if the bulbs are good. A set of wires with known good 12 volt power and a ground. If the bulbs light up, then..
    2. Check to see if the switch is good. Same pwr/grn source but put the switch in line.
    3. Check the relay the same way, keeping in mind the relay is getting pwr from two sources.

This should identify the problem. Best of luck. If you still cann't lock it down and get it to work, post all of your findings and mybe someone can give you more advice!

8. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I don't have a clue on how to use a volt meter (so I do not have one in hands). Both bulbs looked good to me but then again I would not know what a bad bulb looks like. I checked all fuses and they are still good.

Last night I cut away 2 zip tie to loosen the wires to check them but it still does not work. This morning, driving to work, I pressed the fog switch to on and it came on :confused: What the devil is happening (I hate messing with electrical component, urgh). Thanks all.

9. Oct 12, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    Very nicely done. Thats one of the cleanest installs I've seen on this forum. Good job.

I've known professional installers who didn't do so nice on their own cars.

10. Oct 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the complement.

txusa03 glad to hear that it is working. Sounds like you might have a loose connection some where. If it happens again (or to prevent it from happening again), check for a loose connection some where!

11. Mar 21, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    JimKellyfan

JimKellyfan Active Member

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5 2.something
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover
    When I went to the Toyota parts counter, they were like, sorry, we do not have lights for your truck ?
    So what truck do I get them for if my parts department is less than resourceful ?

12. Mar 26, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been out of town!

I ordered my parts from www.Toyotapart.com

They sold the OEM fog lights, buckets that snap in the bumper to secure the light, OEM fog light plugs for you to wire to so you can just plug your wires into the bulbs, a relay, and the switch for the dash. They were way cheaper than the Toyota dealership at the time and even offered all this as a package purchase lowering the cost. All I purchased separately were the project box and bolts and a spool of wire.

The Toyota dealership told me that I couldn't add OEM fog lights to my model. As it wasn't wired for fog lights and no part number is listed for it. They told me the same thing about the cruise control. But I was able to order the parts for both from Toyotapart.com and now have both OEM fog lights and cruise installed. Plan on installing the intermittent wiper arm next!

If you wish to purchase from Toyota, just tell them you want those items listed above for any Tacoma of your year. Same bumper so the fog lights, light buckets with fit, and same dash so the switch will fit! But you will have to wire it up yourself. I gave but one of many possible ways to wire in fog light (OEM or aftermarker). Fairly simple and quick. Only takes a little more time if you want it to look neat and factory under the hood :D.

Hope this helps.

13. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    JimKellyfan

JimKellyfan Active Member

Member:
    da South
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5 2.something
    ARE LSII Tonneau cover

Not an issue, thank you very much for the info.
    I will address this issue after my wife recouperates from all the crap I bought for my Caprice.
    She drives my Taco most of the time anyway.
    In fact, she doesn't even own a car anymore, I own 'em all.
    But, we both want fog lights ( not to be confused with "log fights" ) in the Taco.

Thanks for the input, I definitely want it to look as OE as possible, and will probably go the same route, depending upon costs ( I get dealer pricing as my affiliations are in the industry )

Also let me say your "how to with photos" is very impressive, great job.

Thanks again, it is exactly what I needed to know

14. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hopefully be of help. Fogs improve the looks up front and wired like I did I can use them as daylight running lights if I so wish to! Plus they light up the road ahead nice.

Best of luck!

15. Apr 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Tacomitron

Tacomitron New Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Evans, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4 Impulse red tow
    3 inch lift in front and 1.5 inch lift in the rear, 1" front diff drop kit, 255/70/17 BFG Mud terr, OEM roof rack, fog lights on anytime mod, OBX headers, Volant CAI, Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer, Century cab high cap with custom roof rack made from Tundra deck rail system, cargo light on anytime mod, extra D-rings mod, tail light guards, EZ-down tailgate assist, Pop N Lock inside the tailgate keyless remote locking tailgate lock, TPMS black tape mod, frame welded rock sliders w/ diamond plate steps welded by each door, bed mat, Impulse red"BHLM", silver painted Sport wheels, DIY black painted fender flares, 5000k HID heads and fogs, blacked our grill and emblems, hidden front hitch receiver from CBI Offroad fab. More in the making.......SOLD TRUCK (SAD FACE)
    If any one needs a bumper cover from an impulse red 08 TRD with OEM fogs let me know. We can make a deal for super cheap. I will also just sell the fogs if someone wants them. There is nothing wrong with any of it, I put an ARB winch bumper on and have had the bumper sitting around in my spare bedroom. I just joined the forum and I was to lazy to sell on ebay or any of those other sites.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. May 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    Scott88

Scott88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    North Texas
    OEM Intermitent wipers, OEM fog lights, PNL on tailgate, Cruise Control...
    Very helpful write-up! [​IMG]

Loved the idea of the project box and used one myself. It not only keeps the engine bay looking better, but it keeps the relay and fuse from getting covered in grime.

I got JDM lights from Ebay for $100, but otherwise I followed this how-to pretty closely.

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Feb 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    I'm wiring up some aftermarket fog lights as reverse lights on my truck.

I really like the idea of the RadioShack project box.

18. May 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    so the power is being drawn through the radio fuse slot with an add-a-circut?

19. Mar 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    gsm

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    That pwr is being shared just for the signal to the relay to allow the fogs to turn on - otherwisethe fogs would always have pwr available from the battery and could accidentally be left on when parked. This way if the ignition is off, so are the fogs. No pwr to radio, no pwr to signal the relay to allow pwr from the batts to the fogs.

Hope this helps.

20. May 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    Databox

Databox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport SR5
    Rims and Tires

Products Discussed in

To Top