1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-Plug & Play cruise control transplant

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tantacookie, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Feb 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    Tantacookie

Tantacookie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Good evening fellas. I am in search of knowledge and hopefully some resolution. My daily rig is a 2001 double cab 3.4V6 auto 4wd I also have a 1999 parts truck with the same drive train. I want to transplant the cruise control system into the 2001 and need to know if it can be done. Parts are 100 percent accounted for. I just need the knowledge (hopefully) to install the older cruise control system into the newer style operating system of the 2001. Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:16 PM
    Kerby J

Kerby J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerby
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Quicksand Tacoma
    I personally did this on my '98 with a similar vehicle. Depending on your trucks options, you might be somewhat pre-wired to install the controller, brain and switch. If you are taking everything from the parts vehicle you might only need to worry about the wire running to the ECM as they could be a different between the years and getting the switch through the side of the steering wheel unless you are going to swap the whole steering wheel too. When I did mine, I elected to swap in a 4runner steering wheel as I am in the process of changing over to an all black interior.

3. Feb 4, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Tantacookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Can you tell me more about how everything went together? The cruise servo I have is one that has the ecm built in. 14 pin plug that attaches under the dash. Not the 4 pin actuator under the hood and then the separate cruise ecm. Most of the wires look to be the same. There are 3 or 4 that don’t match anything.

4. Feb 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    Kerby J

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerby
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Quicksand Tacoma
    The one I installed was the 4 pin actuator under the hood but I had to wire everything from scratch. I would have to look at the wiring diagram for the 14 pin one o see how it all works together. For mine I had to tie into the ecm, the cruise control switch on the steering wheel and the dash gauge.

Based on the attached wiring diagram, it looks like you don't have that much to connect into. I would suggest that you pull all the wiring out of the parts truck and just re-pin it into yours. Take a look at the diagram, which wires don't match.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 4, 2020 at 5:57 PM
    Tantacookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Any chance you have a good schematic for the ‘99 system and a schematic of the 2001 system to compare side by side. From what I can see the wires are mostly all the same. But I’m not sure they serve the same function. But not having the ecm to plug in under the dash would require some “hard wired” mods. I’ve looked, searched, read about everything I can find. I have several schematics. But I have zero ways to verify what may or may not be true to the vehicles I’m dealing with

6. Feb 4, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    Kerby J

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerby
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Quicksand Tacoma
    the ones I have are set up differently than what you are wanting to do. The one I attached earlier was from a '00, pretty close to the '99 and I have one from a '03 but not 100% on how close it will be to your 2001. Give me the specs on your '01: engine, transmission and I can pull the pertinent pages from the '03 if you would like

7. Feb 4, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Tantacookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    2001 3.4v6 auto 4x4 double cab

1999 3.4v7 auto 4x4 ext cab

8. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Kerby J

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerby
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Quicksand Tacoma
    The 032cc file is what I have from the '03 which will allow you to compare to the '00 I attached earlier. Also attached is a ECU reference file that I have used in the past that compares the different pin locations of the different years. Hope these help you bud.

Attached Files:

9. Feb 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    Tantacookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    I’ll give everything a good look and see what happens. Thank you much for the schematics and your input.

Products Discussed in

To Top