1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noobie needs opinons

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PatInTheHat88, May 21, 2010.

1. May 21, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    PatInTheHat88

PatInTheHat88 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma, SR5 Debadged
    After market rims, one off paint
    allright im a noob to the site. so any info would be much needed. i bought a 98 tacoma xtra cab 3.4 liter v6, auto, optional electric locker, trd package. ( bilstien supension,) 283,000 on the original drivetrain. very well taken care by a older gentlemen. $696 is what i paid for it, a little bit of body damage, but nothing major, AAD leafs in the rear, all original. with 15X8 wagon wheels. i have a problem though i have to stuff a shop rag into the air intake behind the filter other wise it will not run, and it has a lag in the throttle response .. i pulled out a 86 ford ranger today and it did just find well besides the whole dying thing when you get the rpm's over 3200, roughly then it cuts out and dies, im a extremely mechanicly inclined person. im not real familar with the obd II system and i need help troubleshooting what the problem might be.. i was told it might be a O2 sensor or maybe the Cat's are so clogged that its not running correctly, or maybe vacuum lines? my other question is that the book calls for dual electode plugs is this nessacary? will post pics and videos if asked.. this is not my daily driver its my project truck, i do know enough about yota's that when i seen this truck i had to have it... my goal is to build a barely street legal baja truck, long arm kit, bed cage, rock sliders,supercharger pretty much the whole nine yards... i also talked to the original owner of the truck and he had the bottom end rebuild 30,000 ago and had the vavle train serviced at the same time... i know this is a long thread and i thank every one to reads this and can give me some insight...

2. May 21, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    O2 sensor is a good place to start, if its been sitting awhile a good cleaning of the throttle body/positioner would be good also, does it die when you put your foot to it ? It could be a fuel delivery issue also. Has it thrown any codes ?? That would narrow things down considerably. I guess it could be a vacuum problem but it would run consistently shitty, not just under acceleration.....good luck .....:cool:

3. May 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Sounds like your timing belt might be shot. Second, can you post a pic of the filter/rag thingy you are talking about? Third, yes the dual elcetrode plugs are necessary. NGK (OEM plugs) will give you the absolute best results.

4. May 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    If the cat is not deead yet running it out of tune like that will kill it fast.

1/8" drill bit and drill a hole in front of the cat. The back pressure should be + 1-2 lbs at any throttle position. Any thing over 3-5 and I'm cutting them out and taking a look.

Sounds more like a primary igniton / fuel / exhaust issue as opposed to just a sensor. The computer shold be able to run the truck in open loop and accomidate a basic failed sensor.

Check the codes and let u know.

5. May 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Yeah that doesn't sound like an O2 problem, I would start by hooking it up to a code reader if you have anyway of borrowing one. After that it should clue you into something. Also pull the plugs and look at em, that'll give you an idea of how it's running (like shit in this case lol). Look for crossed wires, and check spark on all your wires/plugs. Pull your intake apart and clean the MAF. Also try changing the fuel filter, if there's build-up in there it'll run like shit. Dump the oil and fluids and look for any contaminents. and try unhooking your tailpipe, and just running it open. CAT could be shit. When I was growing up my dad used to hammer this into my head when working on my motorcycle. Fuel, Air, Spark: an engine needs these three things to run, without them or a lack of any one of them and your engine won't run. Start taking shit apart and eliminating possibilities. Narrow it down. And keep us informed!

Products Discussed in

To Top